Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
iOSOS
macrumors member

The iPhone is uncomfortable to hold

What do you guys think of the design of the last couple of iPhones? They are hard to hold, uncomfortable in the hand. The iPhone 3GS with its curved back was nice to hold. I dont get why Apple has stuck with the iPhone 4 design. I want an iPhone with the iPod touch design. Some part could be plastic so it doesnt cover necessary 3G and GPS signals. One example is the HTC Legend. Should Apple redesign the iPhone?
iOSOS is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Shredder96
macrumors regular

Why the hell does this matter?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Judging by the the latest iMac design, u may get your wish.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4
BugBytes
macrumors regular

I own a 4S and have handled a 5 and can say I have no problems with how they feel, so I'd say no.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I didn't find my 4, 4s or 5 difficult or uncomfortable to hold
MacDawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:03 PM   #6
madsci954
macrumors 65816

My 4S feels uncomfortable to hold without a case on it, but that's only because I'm just afraid it's gonna slip out of my hands (world's most expensive bar of soap lol). When it's in the Bumper case, it feels fine to me.
madsci954 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:29 PM   #7
CarlCoxx
Banned

OP i think you crazzzzzy hahaha. The iPhone 5 is a engineering feat and a work of art which feels great in the hand! I remember thinking it felt TOO light but now after holding this and a iphone 4S, the iphone 5 feels so right
CarlCoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:31 PM   #8
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

i agree i thought it was too light at first but now the 4s feels heavy and ugly being so short lol. i never bought into an apple product until the 5 came out because it HAD to be this screen size or else
isephmusic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

No, in order of worst designed to best designed:
3G/S
2G/4/S/5 tied
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:40 PM   #10
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

While the iP4 and beyond are a tad on the uncomfortable side to hold when I'm in bed laying on my back in certain situations, I prefer this design for when I'm making calls, especially in the heat of the summer. With the 3G and 3Gs I found I would hold the phone closer to my palm and if it's really hot outside, sometimes I would come away with a nasty plastic back. With this newer design I generally hold the phone just with the tips of my fingers, leaving a big airflow gap between my palm and the phone.

Sounds gross, I know, and no I'm not overweight, but I do sweat easily (Iraq sucked!) so this is actually a welcome change for me.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:47 PM   #11
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Too small yes, but uncomfortable to hold? I didn't get that.

I do prefer the rounded curve designed of the 3gs but the 4 and up isn't a problem for me.
thehustleman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:56 PM   #12
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

I agree with OP. Both the iP4 and iP5 would be more comfortable with a rounder profile. There is a reason your steering wheel doesn't have square edges like these phones.

The iP5 is much better than the iP4 in that it is lighter and not as slippery. I use mine without a case and I would not have done so with the iP4.

I had a Ringke Slim case on my iP5 for a couple of weeks and found it add quite a bit of comfort to the phone. It doesn't take much: just a bit of rounding around the edge will make a huge difference.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:57 PM   #13
LouieSamman
macrumors 6502a

Then skip the 5S and wait for the 6. We will probably see the 6 looking like the back of the new iMacs. This design will bring the curve back. Just hope apple heads that way.
LouieSamman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:17 PM   #14
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

To the OP if your finding it uncomfortable to hold. Maybe you should consider a samsung s3? That way you can use your phone work both your hands at the same time.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:00 PM   #15
luked14
macrumors regular

The last 3 generations of iPhones are some of the least ergonomic devices that Apple has released. Hopefully, future generations will adopt the same design as the iPad mini.
luked14 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:06 PM   #16
nicknicknickh
macrumors regular

Why would you post this? This is has no reason to be posted here.. If you dont like the feel of it return it or suck it up don't go complaining to message board..
nicknicknickh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:40 PM   #17
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknicknickh View Post
Why would you post this? This is has no reason to be posted here.. If you dont like the feel of it return it or suck it up don't go complaining to message board..
I am not OP, but I see plenty of reasons.

1. To see if others have the same experience. On this forum, people share their opinions.

2. If others do have the same experience, what they do about it.

3. Hope of improving future products. If enough people feel the same way, perhaps Apple will consider making some changes. It's the internet, and what you post no matter where, is available to any researcher with a bit of clue.

Furthermore, OP may find the iPhone 5 somewhat uncomfortable to hold, but there are many other positive aspects about the phone that outweigh the original complaint and decide to keep it. So it's not a black and white issue as "if you don't like it, then return it."

Ask yourself, have you ever posted a complaint to this message board? If you don't remember, look at your posting history. Hint "wifi..."
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Dweez
macrumors 6502a

If you don't like it, replace it with the device of your choice.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:51 PM   #19
alan111
macrumors regular

I have to agree with the OP. The iPhone 5 (along with with the 4 and 4S) is not comfortable to hold, as compared to a curved back phone. I have been trying to find an ultra slim case that will emulate the old design of the 3GS, but have not come across any.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:03 PM   #20
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweez View Post
If you don't like it, replace it with the device of your choice.
That's not a good option every time you find one aspect about something in life that you don't like. I bet that if that is your attitude, you can't survive in this world. Name anything, I bet there is something about it that you don't like. I bought a car. I like it except for the spare tire access. Do I return it?

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:04 PM   #21
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP. The iPhone 3 and 3gs were beautiful phones to hold and talk on. The square iPhone 4 design and 5 designs are difficult to hold and not as easy to text on. That said they're a lot thinner and look a lot cooler than the 3GS does now.... but I thought the 3GS was almost perfect in the way a phone should be designed (with the back). I never had a 3GS but it was the phone I wanted back in the day. I've owned a 4s and 5.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:08 PM   #22
Dweez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by meistervu View Post
That's not a good option every time you find one aspect about something in life that you don't like. I bet that if that is your attitude, you can't survive in this world. Name anything, I bet there is something about it that you don't like. I bought a car. I like it except for the spare tire access. Do I return it?

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism.
It's all in the perception.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:21 PM   #23
aztooh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder96 View Post
Why the hell does this matter?
Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the OP...how can you not see how it matters? It's a HAND HELD device. The square/brick design since the 4 has big my biggest complaint other than screen size. It's not all that ergonomic.
aztooh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:14 PM   #24
John T
macrumors 68020

I used my faithful 3GS until last November when an iPhone 5 replaced it. I must admit to preferring the 3Gs's rounded contours to the angular edges of the "5". However the latter is sooo much lighter and faster!

In the final analysis, one soon gets used to the different shape.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:37 PM   #25
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

No it's not.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone