Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:08 PM   #26
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post

Its being updated every day. Just recently I noticed a bunch of new POIs in Charlotte, NC.
Apple still thinks there are 2 Wal-Marts in Mooresville...

I've reported it a few times already.
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:11 PM   #27
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijen View Post
I doubt they could buy Google ... not even if it were for sale.
Funny thing about public companies, they don't have to be for sale to be bought

Granted, I doubt apple could afford buying google and is not in anyone's interest
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:43 PM   #28
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

I wish Apple would give me a modest 1,000 shares of their stock just so I can sleep in that extra hour.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:45 PM   #29
rans0m00
macrumors 6502

Glad they might not be purchasing Waze. I actively moderate my area and I could easily argue that the OKC, Yukon, and Edmond area are more current than google because I travel these roads daily. If an issue is brought up I will usually deviate from my regular route to see what the issue is and go online and fix it if needed. When it goes to google or apple I am sure the anyone can edit the map policy will be ending quickly. I figure its a matter of time till someone buys Waze but I would still prefer its not apple.
rans0m00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:54 PM   #30
Snide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post

Man I wish there was still a downvote button.
Me too! What happened to it??
Snide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:04 PM   #31
HenryDJP
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
They could pay $750 million and buy Waze

...OR BUY GOOGLE and use their Maps?!
Unless you were being sarcastic, it's not that simple. You can't just "buy" a company. Either the company has to be up for sale or said buyer has to do a hostile takeover which isn't easy if you don't have enough stock buying power.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:07 PM   #32
newyorkone
macrumors member

Stupid name (and logo), stupid app, stupid company. I had never even heard of them until this post. There are so many other options for this completely unoriginal app, business.

Even $400 mil. is too much. Apple better not pull a Facebook like Instagram purchase. Apple should completely abandon the idea and then Waze will eventually fade away into nothing and be forgotten when they go out of business. $750 mil.!?! Idiots...
newyorkone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:08 PM   #33
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkone View Post
Stupid name (and logo), stupid app, stupid company. I had never even heard of them until this post. There are so many other options for this completely unoriginal app, business.

Even $400 mil. is too much. Apple better not pull a Facebook like Instagram purchase. Apple should completely abandon the idea and then Waze will eventually fade away into nothing and be forgotten when they go out of business. $750 mil.!?! Idiots...
LOL really? You deem them stupid because you don't know about them?

I do question how they're worth even $400mil.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:10 PM   #34
HenryDJP
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
apple needs them, they have lots of data and good technology. they can always go to google, tomtom, nokia, microsoft just to spite apple
Seems like every time there's a news article "Pro Apple" the hating crowd craps down on Apple. On the other hand, when it's an article talking about a company "WAZE" for example, standing up and not giving in to Apple's offer the hating crowd STILL craps down on Apple and cheers for the opposition....and this forum is suppose to be for Apple enthusiasts.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:10 PM   #35
parseckadet
macrumors 6502

How much of this is just trying to keep Waze out of someone else's hands, like Microsoft?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:12 PM   #36
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
They could pay $750 million and buy Waze

...OR BUY GOOGLE and use their Maps?!
your joking right???

edit: i see you answered that one..

----------

Quote:

I dont know about them either, so i cant tell if 400mil is too much or cheap. How do you know? i think your post was more stupid than their logo.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:35 PM   #37
JHankwitz
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
I doubt they (Apple) could buy Google ... not even if it were for sale.
The FTC probably wouldn't allow it.
JHankwitz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #38
skellener
macrumors 65816

I doubt Apple will support Maps any longer than 5 years if that. We'll see a few updates along with iOS updated and then it will slowly wither away and be forgotten. That's what Apple does with services. They simply let them die. They don't "get" services. They never have.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #39
pandamonia
Banned

"British Parlance" ???

I think you will find the language is called "English" Which means the misspelt version is American.
pandamonia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:48 PM   #40
JHankwitz
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
I wonder how long its going to take Apple to get their maps on par. I guess we'll see "Maps 2" during the iOS 7 preview, with new features.
Apple, like Google, is constantly updating their maps. I'm sure you couldn't possibly think that all those maps are stored on your 16M iPhone. They're downloaded from the cloud as needed. You shouldn't need to update your iPhone software when the maps stored on the cloud are the problem.

----------

Quote:
Like Groupon, I don't believe their business model includes a way of turning a real profit.
JHankwitz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:04 PM   #41
ps45
macrumors regular

Quote:
I doubt they could buy Google ... not even if it were for sale.
You need to look for a new broker... Google is up for sale, it's for sale every day (NASDAQ: GOOG)
ps45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:10 PM   #42
Elijen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps45 View Post
You need to look for a new broker... Google is up for sale, it's for sale every day (NASDAQ: GOOG)
I bet over 50% of shares are still owned by the founders and are not for sale. But I might be wrong.
Elijen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:29 PM   #43
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener View Post
I doubt Apple will support Maps any longer than 5 years if that. We'll see a few updates along with iOS updated and then it will slowly wither away and be forgotten. That's what Apple does with services. They simply let them die. They don't "get" services. They never have.
I think this is different. Apple HAS to "get" services now because that's how they're going to continue building the whole ecosystem. It's not enough making a device anymore, you have to make it talk to every aspect of life now and in order to be able to do that fully, you need to create partnerships with other companies OR make your own services.

Apple's partnership with Google is clearly over so they have to excel at services or else they'll lag behind.
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:27 PM   #44
rans0m00
macrumors 6502

Apple I feel is held to a higher standard than Google. Google does Gmail, searches, and maps really well. I can't think of another service they seriously excel at. I am on Android and I don't even use Google maps since there are better options (unless you need street view). If apple keeps up the quality of the apps available on their store then I think it would go much further than apple trying to be a jack of all trades but master of none. Even their Android Os is changed by phone manufacturers with features added or taken away...

I almost bought an iphone 5 due to the quality of apps available. Android might have the same apps available but many just don't look as well put together as their iphone version.
rans0m00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:28 PM   #45
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Why do people find Waze stupid? Besides the fact that its insanely popular, I've never gotten wrong directions with it and it helps me route away from traffic, cops, construction, etc.
cclloyd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:45 PM   #46
rans0m00
macrumors 6502

Might depend on the area they are in.... Some areas that are not well maintained are freaking awful.
rans0m00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:55 PM   #47
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
Notice I said maps reputation not just maps. For 90% of us it works just fine. Apple may fix a hundred data points a day, but most will go un-noticed by the vast majority of us simply because we don't live in that area. Making big acquisitions makes a big public statement.
There are at least a million errors in London alone.

Fixing a hundred a day means they'll have to spend three years just on one city alone. The numbers of fixes worldwide likely number in the billions.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:28 PM   #48
scy
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Hey, just because YOU have never heard of them is more an indicator that you just don't know what's out there... here in So Cal WAZE is the only app that consistently gets it right.. you want a quick way to get from city to city, avoid the 5 and take a toll road, WAZE gives that option.. / it's consistent, reliable.. and pretty amazing... saved me lots of speeding tickets too.. go out of business? fade away? before you criticize why don't you check your facts, compare all the options, and you'll see how WAZE stands out.
scy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:44 PM   #49
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Apple, like Google, is constantly updating their maps. I'm sure you couldn't possibly think that all those maps are stored on your 16M iPhone. They're downloaded from the cloud as needed. You shouldn't need to update your iPhone software when the maps stored on the cloud are the problem.

----------

Like Groupon, I don't believe their business model includes a way of turning a real profit.
Trust me i've used groupon with my business, those pricks take a big cut.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:58 PM   #50
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Waze is not very useful outside the US.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
I wonder how long its going to take Apple to get their maps on par. I guess we'll see "Maps 2" during the iOS 7 preview, with new features.
There may be more fancy features like 3D flyover. But the underlying map data? It's not gonna improve much. The very wrong POI that I reported for numerous time over the past 4 months is still there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener View Post
The exception is iCloud syncing. It's been working well for me since iOS 5.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion