Apple TV connection question - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
ahcl20
macrumors member

Apple TV connection question

Hi folks, am thinking of getting the Apple TV.

I have a Bose Sound Dock speaker which I have attached a bluetooth receiver to, so normally I connect my MacBook Pro to it to play music.

What I really want to know is if it's possible to use the Apple TV to connect to my TV (via a HDMI cable), then have the Apple TV to connect to my speaker via bluetooth, so the audio from the TV will play from the speaker?

I tried using the online Apple Store help chat thing but they couldn't answer me - just kept referring me to the specs page!

Thanks.
ahcl20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, the only way to connect to the AppleTv is through HDMI or Optical Audio.

Here's a link to the specs page -there is no mention of Bluetooth...
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

The Bose SoundDock I looked at had an Aux In, but that's not an optical input. There are several variations of the SoundDock - check yours for an optical port.

Your TV may also have an audio out port that you can use to send sound to the SoundDock. You would have to check the TV.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:13 PM   #3
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcl20 View Post
Hi folks, am thinking of getting the Apple TV.

I have a Bose Sound Dock speaker which I have attached a bluetooth receiver to, so normally I connect my MacBook Pro to it to play music.

What I really want to know is if it's possible to use the Apple TV to connect to my TV (via a HDMI cable), then have the Apple TV to connect to my speaker via bluetooth, so the audio from the TV will play from the speaker?

I tried using the online Apple Store help chat thing but they couldn't answer me - just kept referring me to the specs page!

Thanks.
It is not documented if the TAV3 has bluetooth at all. Rumors suggest that is does. Fact is hat currently there are no bluetooth setting in the ATV's IOS. I do have a question for you: can't you have your ATV connect to your TV, your TV to your amp and your amp to your sound dock?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater