Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Yougotcarved
macrumors regular

128Gb enough for apps?

I'm considering getting an iMac with the Fusion Drive and was just wanting to hear your opinions on whether 128Gb will be enough to just have apps, no media on?

From what I've seen OSX needs about 15Gb, if I want a bunch of apps (say iLife, iTunes, Photoshop, Final Cut etc) would they be able to fit on the SSD of my Fusion Drive?

Does anybody here fill up more than 128Gb with apps?
Yougotcarved is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
daveishere
macrumors 6502a

And what if they dont?

Fusion drive is programmed to automatically swap files between the drives based on your usage.

Unless you use all your 128gb equally as much, surely this should be ok?
iPad mini 64GB Black & Slate.
daveishere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Rockstar2
macrumors newbie

Im using my macbook pro since 2008 (snow leopard) with a 160GB hard drive.
The Size of my application folder never really went above 60 Gb.

I think it depends from user to user. But a 128Gb SSD should be fine for now.
Rockstar2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:05 PM   #4
GreXXL
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yougotcarved View Post
I'm considering getting an iMac with the Fusion Drive and was just wanting to hear your opinions on whether 128Gb will be enough to just have apps, no media on?

From what I've seen OSX needs about 15Gb, if I want a bunch of apps (say iLife, iTunes, Photoshop, Final Cut etc) would they be able to fit on the SSD of my Fusion Drive?

Well the most prominent problem would be that you have no influence what-so-ever on where "FusionDrive" puts your files. I'd asume that some key parts of OSX are kept on the SSD to keep startup times down. As for the files you will have to trust the logic that is built into "FusionDrive".

I think it will do the trick, and I like that you don't have to fiddle around yourself. It just does it for you.
If you need super-power you need to go for a large SSD-only setup, which unfortunately is just freaking expensive

greets
GreXXL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Yougotcarved
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXXL View Post
Well the most prominent problem would be that you have no influence what-so-ever on where "FusionDrive" puts your files. I'd asume that some key parts of OSX are kept on the SSD to keep startup times down. As for the files you will have to trust the logic that is built into "FusionDrive".

I think it will do the trick, and I like that you don't have to fiddle around yourself. It just does it for you.
If you need super-power you need to go for a large SSD-only setup, which unfortunately is just freaking expensive

greets
Well I'd aim to keep total hard drive use under 128Gb and use externals for everything else to ensure everything is on the SSD.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
spinstorm
macrumors 65816

I read on another site that the fusion drive also caches 4GB for read/write use so you would have 124GB however don't forget some of that spaceman be reduced by formatted space. I'm not sure how much.

But you have less that 124GB in reality.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:24 PM   #7
GreXXL
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Well I'd aim to keep total hard drive use under 128Gb and use externals for everything else to ensure everything is on the SSD.
Hm, well that might work. Personally I think it's a bit of a waste for the TB that you don't use. Why not using it for less-frequently used files that you access only on demand? Finally it's up to you, on how to use your MAC - but upgrading for the not-that-inexpensive Fusion Drive and not using the technology seems to be a waste for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinstorm View Post
I read on another site that the fusion drive also caches 4GB for read/write use so you would have 124GB however don't forget some of that spaceman be reduced by formatted space. I'm not sure how much.

Well I guess in reality you have less space than that. But I don't know if you see the actual size of your flash space - when using it in a Fusion Drive? The aim of Apple is to hide that from the user, so you will only see the 1TB that you got in total, not what's used of your HDD and of your SSD? Well maybe someone who actually already got one can tell you
GreXXL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:27 PM   #8
iancapable
macrumors 6502

Quote:

If it's not you can always buy an external drive like the LaCie thunderbolt SSD, or you could always get yourself a flash drive for them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Tec...7248407&sr=1-3
iancapable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:07 PM   #9
spinstorm
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinstorm View Post

Spaceman? It auto corrected my perfect sentence to make no sense...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Yougotcarved
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXXL View Post
Hm, well that might work. Personally I think it's a bit of a waste for the TB that you don't use. Why not using it for less-frequently used files that you access only on demand? Finally it's up to you, on how to use your MAC - but upgrading for the not-that-inexpensive Fusion Drive and not using the technology seems to be a waste for me.

Well I guess in reality you have less space than that. But I don't know if you see the actual size of your flash space - when using it in a Fusion Drive? The aim of Apple is to hide that from the user, so you will only see the 1TB that you got in total, not what's used of your HDD and of your SSD? Well maybe someone who actually already got one can tell you
Its only a waste cos apple doesnt offer a smaller flash only option. As it is my plan is a cheap way to get an internal all SSD boot drive without ripping open my mac

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac