Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
packgrad2000
macrumors regular

How to Erase all data but keep your jailbreak

I have an iPhone 3GS, jailbroken and unlocked using Pwnage Tool and UltraSn0w, on 4.3.3. I want to sell it and erase everything, but my understanding is reseting it using the "Erase All Content and Settings" would cause me to lose my JB/unlock which is no good since it's useless where I live (Indonesia) if it's locked to AT&T.

Recently I tried to update to 5.0.1 using Pwnage Tool and keep the unlock but it failed, I believe due to the fact that Apple is no longer signing 5.0.1. Is there a way I could just restore to 4.3.3 (custom IPSW, of course) without Apple signing the certificate? I'm a little confused how the certificate signing thing works, but I think the question might be "Did you save your shsh blobs" and I think the answer is yes. I just don't really understand that and know how to use them. I've always used Tiny Umbrella, Pwnage Tool, and UltraSn0w when JB/Unlocking it.

Thanks for your help!
packgrad2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

You can try deleting all your stuff manually.
Or open up cydia and look at the top of the page what shsh blobs you have available for that device.
You can restore to any of those firmware versions listed there.
You will need to create a custom ipsw with redsnow, stitch your shsh blobs to it and then put your iphone in pwned dfu mode and restore by using that customer firmware.
Many many steps and hoops to jump through so make sure you're comfortable and understand what you're doing before you attempt anything.
Good luck.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by packgrad2000 View Post
I have an iPhone 3GS, jailbroken and unlocked using Pwnage Tool and UltraSn0w, on 4.3.3. I want to sell it and erase everything, but my understanding is reseting it using the "Erase All Content and Settings" would cause me to lose my JB/unlock which is no good since it's useless where I live (Indonesia) if it's locked to AT&T.

Recently I tried to update to 5.0.1 using Pwnage Tool and keep the unlock but it failed, I believe due to the fact that Apple is no longer signing 5.0.1. Is there a way I could just restore to 4.3.3 (custom IPSW, of course) without Apple signing the certificate? I'm a little confused how the certificate signing thing works, but I think the question might be "Did you save your shsh blobs" and I think the answer is yes. I just don't really understand that and know how to use them. I've always used Tiny Umbrella, Pwnage Tool, and UltraSn0w when JB/Unlocking it.

Thanks for your help!
Buy an AT&T IMEI unlock on eBay for $5-$10. Then you don't need to worry about JB/unlock issues. You could even update it to 6.0.1 if you wanted to do so.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

That's a very good suggestion above also if its an AT&T iphone. You can get an IMEI unlock for as little as $2-3
If all you care is about the unlock and not the JB then you dont need to worry about restores or blobs.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:44 PM   #5
packgrad2000
macrumors regular

Yeah, that's all I care about is the unlock. Problem is, I'm in Indonesia and I'm selling it to my friend here before I head back to the US so buying that is kind of difficult. Good to know for the future though!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
You can try deleting all your stuff manually.
Or open up cydia and look at the top of the page what shsh blobs you have available for that device.
You can restore to any of those firmware versions listed there.
You will need to create a custom ipsw with redsnow, stitch your shsh blobs to it and then put your iphone in pwned dfu mode and restore by using that customer firmware.
Many many steps and hoops to jump through so make sure you're comfortable and understand what you're doing before you attempt anything.
Good luck.
I've done all this using PwnageTool, except for that part about "stitch your shsh blobs to it." How do I do that?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, that's all I care about is the unlock. Problem is, I'm in Indonesia and I'm selling it to my friend here before I head back to the US so buying that is kind of difficult. Good to know for the future though!
The IMEI unlock take less the 24 hours to work. Then you just restore the phone.

It's not like you have to wait for something to be delivered.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
packgrad2000
macrumors regular

I've never even heard of this kind of unlock...wish I'd known about it earlier. I notice from one seller on eBay's instructions on completing the unlock, you have to first activate it using an AT&T SIM card first, which I do have, but will that work even though I'm not anywhere near AT&T's network? This is the original SIM card that came with the phone (I'm not the original owner and I've never even used that SIM)...just making sure it can be activated with AT&T first.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I've never even heard of this kind of unlock...wish I'd known about it earlier. I notice from one seller on eBay's instructions on completing the unlock, you have to first activate it using an AT&T SIM card first, which I do have, but will that work even though I'm not anywhere near AT&T's network? This is the original SIM card that came with the phone (I'm not the original owner and I've never even used that SIM)...just making sure it can be activated with AT&T first.
I don't think you have to activate with an AT&T SIM card. Most of the time you don't even have to restore for it to be unlocked. But, all you need is iTunes and an computer connected to Internet to activate the phone. Even if you need use the old AT&T SIM. You don't actually have to have service. Just restore and it should say your iPhone is unlocked after restore.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Just pay for the eBay auction and give the seller your iPhones imei number.
That's it. Then you just restore it with iTunes and it will activate and work with any gsm sim.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks