Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:49 PM   #51
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
The only good downvoting did was inflame others into an online ego war. It's better that people actually take the time to [civilly] address a comment than to passive-aggressively down-vote it. It also bullied people whose comments may be correct but others simply wanted to annoy that user, which happened quite often. I prefer the helpful comments being brought to the forefront of the threads through the new system, it allows me to view the top 5 or so without sifting through hundreds of posts.
I posted my past prior post without reading your response here. I can understand those concerns, but I submit that the down vote system could have been fixed with a few protocols..

Let down voting be "earned" via a formula of number of helpful posts, level of participation, and/or other factors. Also, your old system allowed competing up and down votes to cancel out each other. It would have been better with a system that showed the total number of up AND down votes.

Anyone abusing the down vote could have the privilege revoked. People don't always have time to civilly offer detailed comments in rebuttal. Sometimes the comments are so absurd they don't rate a detailed explanation, the down vote stands on its own.

I think there's something to be said for having a preponderance of reader opinion. The current "up only" option is less than ideal.

Peace
Four oF NINE is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:16 PM   #52
Sardonick007
macrumors regular

Sure hope it's better than the Taurus faex that is on there now. If that's Ape Sand is sure scratches like playdoh.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:28 PM   #53
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardonick007 View Post
Sure hope it's better than the Taurus faex that is on there now. If that's Ape Sand is sure scratches like playdoh.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:31 PM   #54
Samuriajackon
macrumors 6502

Gorilla!

-iPhone 4s
Samuriajackon is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:37 PM   #55
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Monkey wins thread!
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:20 PM   #56
cgk.emu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
The only good downvoting did was inflame others into an online ego war. It's better that people actually take the time to [civilly] address a comment than to passive-aggressively down-vote it. It also bullied people whose comments may be correct but others simply wanted to annoy that user, which happened quite often. I prefer the helpful comments being brought to the forefront of the threads through the new system, it allows me to view the top 5 or so without sifting through hundreds of posts.
Wow, you are all kinds of wrong here. You are the one being passive aggressive about it. Those of us who are straight up aggressive about things get put in "time out" or banned by childish demi-god moderators. We can't even have a friendly debate without an effing warning from a mod with nothing better to do than to whine and moan about someone who has differing beliefs or opinions. GET REAL.
cgk.emu is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:39 PM   #57
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

I'm holding out for Scotty's transparent aluminum to finally be invented.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:47 PM   #58
dakwar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiapple View Post
That is not necessarily true.
Where does the "necessarily" come from?
dakwar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:00 PM   #59
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

This is gonna be sweet
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:19 PM   #60
Samuriajackon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
What from like Star Trek 4?
-iPhone 4s
Samuriajackon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:23 PM   #61
technopimp
macrumors 6502a

The problem isn't the glass scratching, it's the coating(s). The oleophobic coating has micro scratches within 30 seconds of touching it. Hold it up to a bright light at an angle if you don't think yours has any marks on it. You'll be disappointed you did.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:37 PM   #62
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
You don't have to wait! It's been done!

Admittedly it's kinda cloudy, but, you know, baby steps.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by technopimp View Post
The problem isn't the glass scratching, it's the coating(s). The oleophobic coating has micro scratches within 30 seconds of touching it. Hold it up to a bright light at an angle if you don't think yours has any marks on it. You'll be disappointed you did.
Actually, mine's pretty scratch free. What's weird is when I look at my iPad out in direct sunlight, I have these two big dark strips running down the screen vertically.

...and I'm not totally sure what they are.
Renzatic is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:49 PM   #63
bedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk.emu View Post
Wow, you are all kinds of wrong here. You are the one being passive aggressive about it. Those of us who are straight up aggressive about things get put in "time out" or banned by childish demi-god moderators. We can't even have a friendly debate without an effing warning from a mod with nothing better to do than to whine and moan about someone who has differing beliefs or opinions. GET REAL.
I'm sorry you feel this way, however you are reading a lot of emotion into my objective comment. It seems you have been at the wrong end of some forum regulation, I apologize. Yet I do not believe my comment was passive aggressive; I did not passively nor aggressively accuse or insult any one. In fact, I suggest rereading your comment as you personally came after me for unfounded claims. "Effing", "GET REAL", "whine", "moan", etc, seems to be a bit of the pot calling the kettle "taupe".

Thanks for your feedback.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:46 PM   #64
Technarchy
macrumors 601

I don't care what kind of Gorilla Glass it is.

No screen protector = scratches within a few days.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:27 AM   #65
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
You don't have to wait! It's been done!

Admittedly it's kinda cloudy, but, you know, baby steps.

----------

Actually, mine's pretty scratch free. What's weird is when I look at my iPad out in direct sunlight, I have these two big dark strips running down the screen vertically.

Likely the UV curable adhesive holding the digitizer to the LCD. If you have a UV lamp / backlight, the adhesive (if fully cured) should fluoresce with a pale green-blue glow. The methacryliate is "optically clear", but can be spotted in high intensity light as a "dark area" (thanks to index matching), and the photo indicators visible with UV.
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:29 AM   #66
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

Doesn't the 18 month doubling rule apply to Gorilla Glass technology? Seriously by Gorilla Glass 5 or 6 it should be as hard or harder than diamond!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:33 AM   #67
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

But is it snappier

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyBoy View Post
this is old news, us Android users have been using Gorilla glass for a while now...Galaxy S III = iphone killer
Can't tell if ignorant or dumb
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:34 AM   #68
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
And since Apple hasn't used GG since the iPhone 1, this news is applicable to????
They've always used it. And continue to do so.
JordanNZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:42 AM   #69
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

Neither my 4s nor my 5 have had any screen scratches. None. No screen cover. Looks like the day I bought it. People who get screen covers for the 5 are silly, and (with most screen protectors) ruining their experience. Get a case, but not a screen protector
bassfingers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:30 AM   #70
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Isn't, at least since the iPhone 5, the back the more endangered side? I mean the front was nearly perfect before, but any improvement is welcome of course.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:43 AM   #71
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
Apple uses Gorilla Glass? I swear Apple devices scratch like butter compared to Android and Windows Phone devices.
Exaggeration explodes.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:51 AM   #72
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
But aren't most of the visible fine scratches actually in the coatings on top of the screen?
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:11 AM   #73
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
No screen protector = scratches within a few days.
Nah, that's not true at all. I don't use screen protectors on any of my devices, and I don't have scratches on any of them. Not on my old Blackberry, not on my iPhone, and not on my iPad.

They're great for peace of mind, but I don't think they're totally necessary. All it takes is the smallest amount of care to keep everything scratch free.

...and now that I've said this, I'm probably gonna scratch one of my screens somehow.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:18 AM   #74
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyBoy View Post
this is old news, us Android users have been using Gorilla glass for a while now...Galaxy S III = iphone killer
Then why hasn't the S3 killed the iPhone? The iPhone still seems to be selling well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
lolwut
I think he's definitely trolling
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:50 AM   #75
DaveMcM76
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post

Have you got a smart cover? I get lighter lines down the screen where the folds sit on mine so it looks like there are dark patches down the middle where the two center panels of the cover sit... give your screen a good clean and they should go away for a while.
DaveMcM76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion