Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Corning, provider of the Kentucky-made glass for the iPhone and iPad, has announced the third iteration of its Gorilla Glass panels. The glass both reduces scratches and increases overall strength significantly.

Unknown.jpeg
Gorilla Glass 3 has been improved at the molecular level, incorporating a proprietary feature called Native Damage Resistance (NDR). According to Corning, NDR reduces the propagation of flaws, the appearance of scratches and does a better job of maintaining the overall retained strength of the glass. As a result, GG3 claims a three-fold improvement in scratch resistance, 40 percent reduction in the number of visible scratches and 50 percent boost in retained strength after the glass becomes flawed.
Gorilla Glass was mentioned in the Steve Jobs biography with Jobs personally calling Corning Glass CEO Wendell Weeks, before the first iPhone launched, to request the company begin to scale production of Gorilla Glass for the device.

Gorilla Glass 2 was announced at CES last year. It seems likely that Apple will adopt the improved glass for future iOS devices.

Corning will also announce new optical Thunderbolt cables, available in lengths up to 30 meters. Earlier this week, Japanese firm Sumitomo Electric Industries announced its own optical Thunderbolt cables.

Article Link: Corning, Provider of iPhone and iPad Glass, Announces Stronger and More Scratch Resistant Gorilla Glass 3

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
The more scratch-resistant it is, the easier it is to shatter the phone...I wish Apple would go back to glass that scratches easily but doesn't shatter if you drop the phone. I'd rather pay for a screen protector than an Otterbox.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
A real gorilla wingman for you and your phone perhaps? Ready to catch the phone from drops and ward off thieves?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Interesting timing given the rumored news of Apple's investigation(s) into new touch-technology.

There isn't much information available about the Touch On Display panels, but they are said to be thin and tough, with a thickness of 0.5mm and improved optical performance and sensitivity.

Might see this new glass in revamped iOS device touch displays.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
So the original Gorilla Glass and Gorilla Glass 2 were complete crap then? Version 3 will be stronger than strong, more scratch resistant than scratch resistant. What will version 4 hold, the possibilities are endless!

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
You'd be wrong then wouldn't you.

I had a great experience with mine... but you hit any phone the wrong way, and that glass is gonna shatter.

Until something revolutionary comes along... i'm still using a screen protector.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
And since Apple hasn't used GG since the iPhone 1, this news is applicable to????

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
This is great and all, but how about they do something with the horrible back casing.. The fronts a tank compared to the sides and back. How about investing in that department so I can stop having to cover up all the creative and sexy designs of your devices with Thick black rubber covers to keep my hair from scratching it up??

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I wonder when gorilla glass will be strong enough to give a piece to a gorilla and for it to still come out in perfect condition after an hour? Maybe gorilla glass 6?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
This is great and all, but how about they do something with the horrible back casing.. The fronts a tank compared to the sides and back. How about investing in that department so I can stop having to cover up all the creative and sexy designs of your devices with Thick black rubber covers to keep my hair from scratching it up??

They could put some glass on the back, that wouldn't scratch!

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Nice.

Nice news!

While I have shattered the back of my iPhone once (I was drunk and running, give me a break) I feel scratch resistance should be the number one priority.

While only some users will shatter their phones, basically everyone who doesn't use a screen protector will scratch up their phone.

Personally I don't use cases since I hate fuglifying and bulking up my phone. Same goes for screen protectors, there is no way to apply them perfectly, so you end up with a beauty mark. I also feel they alter the tactile sensation of the screen negatively.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Nice news!

While I have shattered the back of my iPhone once (I was drunk and running, give me a break) I feel scratch resistance should be the number one priority.

While only some users will shatter their phones, basically everyone who doesn't use a screen protector will scratch up their phone.

Personally I don't use cases since I hate fuglifying and bulking up my phone. Same goes for screen protectors, there is no way to apply them perfectly, so you end up with a beauty mark. I also feel they alter the tactile sensation of the screen negatively.

The back of the iPhone does not use Gorilla Glass. Only the front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.