Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1
visvaldis
macrumors member

Best Places to Look For Used Mac-mini?

I have a G4 (MDD). Dual core with 1.25 Ghz With only 80 GB memory it works fine, but the power supply is starting to fail. I installed a used power supply months ago and will have to do it again. It's a great machine and I plan to keep it. It runs the XOS 10.5.
What I'd like is a used Mac-mini with Intel. For my purposes 3 GB RAM and 160 GB Memory are sufficient. More is better, but not necessary.
I'd like a model released in mid 2008 as oldest. I was thinking of spending about $500 to $600. I can use the Dell monitor from my G4 and the mouse and keyboard. I guess I'll have to get an external super drive.
I assume all Mac-minis have the usual iLife already installed. Maybe even a more recent OS than Leopard. I don't need Windows or Microsoft office. I will use InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Playing with Garageband is also fun!
So far, I've only checked on ebay. What other reliable places offer used, but dependable Mac-minis?
I appreciate all help, tips, and advice.
visvaldis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

Look at the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store for deals for Mac minis, there should probably be a 2011 model for 500 to 600 USD.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the SSD/HDD's capacity unused.
The above links also apply to SSDs.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:06 PM   #3
brendu
macrumors 68000

for $599 you can get a new Mac Mini from the apple store or Best Buy.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:31 PM   #4
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
for $599 you can get a new Mac Mini from the apple store or Best Buy.
Plus tax.

That is over OP's budget.
TheGreenBastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:25 PM   #5
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I bought 2 from eBay. No problems with either transaction as both sellers had great feedback. Paid a little more than I wanted for the server but much less than an Apple refurb.

You can occasionally see one on Craigslist but rarely in my area. Larger cities may have more selection.

Some places have used computer stores that stock Apple products. One near me has a 2 week money back guarantee.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:59 PM   #6
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Plus tax.

That is over OP's budget.
$565 gets you a new Mac mini from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:34 AM   #7
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
$565 gets you a new Mac mini from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Computer.html
1. I've never heard of that store

2. We don't know where OP lives

3. We can't calculate tax....BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW WHERE HE LIVES.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:55 AM   #8
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
It is a big store (online and offline): B&H Photo Video
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:37 AM   #9
visvaldis
macrumors member

Thanks much for all the advice. The links to the articles about RAM vs Hard Drive were very helpful. I appreciate the info.
I live in Louisville, Kentucky. We have one Apple store.
Local Craigs List has all other PCs, but seldom any Apple products, a few Mac laptops, but hardly any desktops or Mac Minis.
I checked refurbished minis at Apple yesterday. Only one was listed, for over 700 USD. I'll check there daily.
But I'll try the BH Photo store.
In the meantime I have to dig up a power supply for my G4. Last night, as usual, I clicked Sleep. The Mac shut down instead. But this morning it powered up with no problem. Didn't have to reset the date and time.
I appreciate all the tips from everyone. Thanks.
visvaldis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:02 AM   #10
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:

2. We don't know where OP lives

3. We can't calculate tax....BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW WHERE HE LIVES.
You don't need to shout. Settle down and go play with your Lenovo.

Chances are the OP doesn't live in the 1 state that B&H charges sales tax (NY). Statistics and all but I would put my money on 49/50 > 1/50. As we now know, he lives in KY. So 49/50 is still greater than 1/50. Thanks for playing.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
lwapps
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by visvaldis View Post
I have a G4 (MDD). Dual core with 1.25 Ghz With only 80 GB memory it works fine, but the power supply is starting to fail. I installed a used power supply months ago and will have to do it again. It's a great machine and I plan to keep it. It runs the XOS 10.5.
What I'd like is a used Mac-mini with Intel. For my purposes 3 GB RAM and 160 GB Memory are sufficient. More is better, but not necessary.
I'd like a model released in mid 2008 as oldest. I was thinking of spending about $500 to $600. I can use the Dell monitor from my G4 and the mouse and keyboard. I guess I'll have to get an external super drive.
I assume all Mac-minis have the usual iLife already installed. Maybe even a more recent OS than Leopard. I don't need Windows or Microsoft office. I will use InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Playing with Garageband is also fun!
So far, I've only checked on ebay. What other reliable places offer used, but dependable Mac-minis?
I appreciate all help, tips, and advice.
Even amazon have quite a few good deals. $588.86 brand new for the newest Mac Mini! I'd stay away from places like eBay for pricey goods. For that much money you don't want to end up disappointed!
lwapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:38 AM   #12
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
You don't need to shout. Settle down and go play with your Lenovo.
Oh, don't worry about that old thing, I got my money back.

Thanks for playing.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:58 AM   #13
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwapps View Post
Even amazon have quite a few good deals. $588.86 brand new for the newest Mac Mini! I'd stay away from places like eBay for pricey goods. For that much money you don't want to end up disappointed!
Amazon is a good option as well as Macmall for other options.

Personally when I purchase Apple products I look at Apple for a refurb, if nothing there then look at Amazon/Macmall/B&H/Google shopping.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:01 PM   #14
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by visvaldis View Post
Thanks much for all the advice. The links to the articles about RAM vs Hard Drive were very helpful. I appreciate the info.
I live in Louisville, Kentucky. We have one Apple store.
Local Craigs List has all other PCs, but seldom any Apple products, a few Mac laptops, but hardly any desktops or Mac Minis.
I checked refurbished minis at Apple yesterday. Only one was listed, for over 700 USD. I'll check there daily.
But I'll try the BH Photo store.
In the meantime I have to dig up a power supply for my G4. Last night, as usual, I clicked Sleep. The Mac shut down instead. But this morning it powered up with no problem. Didn't have to reset the date and time.
I appreciate all the tips from everyone. Thanks.
At Best buy its $11 off so its $588... Not amazing but it's something.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:26 PM   #15
xMClass
macrumors 6502

Quote:
FYI, B&H is one of best stores around. They are highly praised among the professional photo and video community. And I'm talking super high end stuff here. I buy all my camera equipment from them and my current MacBook Pro was also purchased from them. Just because you haven't heard of a store before means they're automatically bad. Do your research.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:33 PM   #16
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMClass View Post
FYI, B&H is one of best stores around. They are highly praised among the professional photo and video community. And I'm talking super high end stuff here. I buy all my camera equipment from them and my current MacBook Pro was also purchased from them. Just because you haven't heard of a store before means they're automatically bad. Do your research.

He's a Canuck. Don't hold that against him.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice