Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralittle2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I've got several iPhoto libraries, in a feeble attempt to not lose pictures. I saved them on an external drive due to a lack of space on my Mac internal drive.

I just upgraded to a new iMac 27 and now have plenty of hard drive space. I'd now like to combine my photos into one library. There is plenty of overlap, so what is the best way to combine the libraries and then eliminate the duplicates?

Thanks very much,

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Boy, are you in luck.

Try iPhoto Library Manager. http://www.fatcatsoftware.com

Not only can it merge libraries and do other stuff, but the new version let's you examine photos and albums in each library, and then do stuff with them. It's not the speediest (it has to close and reopen libraries since disaster would ensue if it did otherwise) but it does allow you to much more effectively manage libraries. In fact, you might elect NOT to merge them.

I also can detect duplicates and deal with them.

If one's libraries get large it's time to move on to Lightroom (preferably IMHO) or Aperture, but if you can't or don't want to spend the money then iPhoto Library Manager can help out a lot. It can even rebuild it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.