Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1
jigsb007
macrumors 6502

An app to scan multiple Docs. from the printer's feeder ??

Hello All,

i am very new to my new iMAC and Mac Os. till now i was using windows. in windows i was using Nuance Omni professional 17 , to scan my all docs. using canon MF 4370dn printer.

Almost for everything i have found substitute on MAC except this.
Can anybody please guide me to the right direction ???

i usually scan few documents everyday... is there a way to scan multiple documents ? using my canon MF printer's Doc. Feeder ??

Or any other way !!

Please.. thanks..
jigsb007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:54 AM   #2
gc916
macrumors regular

This article details the steps necessary to scan documents using the built-in Mac OS X scanning software. I suggest checking the list of supported scanners via the link near the top of the article. You might need to download the drivers from Canon's website.

Good luck.
gc916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:13 AM   #3
James Craner
macrumors 68000

To be honest Canon's Mac Support for its scanners is notoriously bad, particularly for a model that is a few years old. My advice is forget the Printer and buy a Fujitsu ScanSnap - they are excellent Mac document scanners and very good for a paperless workflow. I know you want to find a solution for your Canon, but given that you want to scan everyday I am sure the ScanSnap is a much better solution.

There was a thread from 2009 with the same problem, but it looks like the functionality was pretty poor.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:48 PM   #4
jigsb007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Craner View Post
To be honest Canon's Mac Support for its scanners is notoriously bad, particularly for a model that is a few years old. My advice is forget the Printer and buy a Fujitsu ScanSnap - they are excellent Mac document scanners and very good for a paperless workflow. I know you want to find a solution for your Canon, but given that you want to scan everyday I am sure the ScanSnap is a much better solution.

There was a thread from 2009 with the same problem, but it looks like the functionality was pretty poor.
Thanks,
But this Fujitsu is bit expensive.. i think, i will use windows in VM ware to scan...windows takes care of canon nicely....

thanks.
jigsb007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:55 PM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsb007 View Post
Thanks,
But this Fujitsu is bit expensive.. i think, i will use windows in VM ware to scan...windows takes care of canon nicely....

thanks.
Using a sheet scanner on a flatbed or all-in-one is an exercise in frustration... and there a very high probablity you will give it up. The tools are just not up for the job.

The Fujitsu is not cheap... but it is the right tool for the job. Search here and you will see plenty of discussion.

You really need full duplex scanning. It is used on virtually every scan. You need OCR if you are going to ever find your data again. You need the jamb detect. Nice features are automatic rotation, automatic alignment, etc.

BTW: The quote above about people giving up from frustration was lifted off of recent book I read about going paperless. He said it more eloquently... and with more authority than is possible for me. He listed a few sheet scanners that might work... but he basically said to just buy the Fujitsu.

/Jim

Last edited by flynz4; Jan 4, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6

My Epson Workforce 545 multi-purpose printer/scanner with a feeder works great when doing multiple pages using the built in OSX scanner function.

$129

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7774LL/A?fnode=38
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Thanks,

thanks.
Fair enough, Windows in a VM should work, but if you are scanning every day then trust me you will love a ScanSnap, but I understand if it is more money than you want to spend right now.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:52 PM   #8
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks,

thanks.
This is unfortunately what I have to do with my HP Laserjet 3390 as it works perfectly under a Windows VM but is no go under OS X...were I not using a Windows VM for other prposes I would be happy with this work-around but as it is, I can live with it...
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:15 AM   #9
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hello All,

i am very new to my new iMAC and Mac Os. till now i was using windows. in windows i was using Nuance Omni professional 17 , to scan my all docs. using canon MF 4370dn printer.

Almost for everything i have found substitute on MAC except this.
Can anybody please guide me to the right direction ???

i usually scan few documents everyday... is there a way to scan multiple documents ? using my canon MF printer's Doc. Feeder ??

Or any other way !!

Please.. thanks..

VueScan - simply the best Mac scanner utility.

http://www.hamrick.com
jlc1978 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:56 AM   #10
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

The only issue with VueScan is that its compatibility list is dated...it states that it is compatible with my LaserJet 3390 but it is not...and I tried and I tried and I tried to get it to work in OS X but was never able to do so [at least over an Ethernet connection]...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:37 PM   #11
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
VueScan - simply the best Mac scanner utility.

http://www.hamrick.com
Agree that VueScan is fantastic. Without it... my $1500 slide/negative scanner would have been useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
The only issue with VueScan is that its compatibility list is dated...it states that it is compatible with my LaserJet 3390 but it is not...and I tried and I tried and I tried to get it to work in OS X but was never able to do so [at least over an Ethernet connection]...
It is free to test your equipment... and Ed Hamrick updates very frequently. Send him an email and your issues will probably be fixed very quickly.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:59 PM   #12
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
Network scanning may be the issue - my experience is OSX does not play nice with network scanners; probably due to driver issues. My canon, for example works fine via USB but not if I try to network it.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:37 AM   #13
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
Network scanning may be the issue - my experience is OSX does not play nice with network scanners; probably due to driver issues. My canon, for example works fine via USB but not if I try to network it.
Agreed noting the following:

1. I eventually installed Parallels to run a number of critical applications with scanning being one of them as I have adopted an essentially paperless "home office" and scan documents, invoices, etc. on a regular bases so this was a key consideration for me.

2. The problem -- I think -- has to so with how the OS X drivers "interact" with the OS...there are two multi-function printers in my house namely an HP 3390 and an HP CM1415fnm both of which are connected via Ethernet..though the HP 3390 does NOT show up as a scanner the HP 1415 does. show up as a scanner...

Joel

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store