Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Irving01
macrumors newbie

In Finder, how do you go "up" folder hierarchy???

New convert from Windows so right now fighting through all the non-intuitive crap. I notice when in an application, when I go to open a file, it will automatically take me to a folder (I guess that is "finder"?), like the one that contains the file I used last. How do I navigate UP in the directory hierarchy? In windows explorer/apps there is either a button with an up arrow in it or you can see your whole path so you can click to whatever part of the hierarchy you want to view. Are folder hierarchies irrelevant in MACs? What is the purpose of hiding where you are?
Irving01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

On the keyboard, press Command-Up Arrow.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:32 PM   #3
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

CMD+ArrowUp and to see where you are Finder > Menu Bar > View > Show Path Bar.
You can also use shortcuts, like CMD+SHIFT+H (home directory) or CMD+SHIFT+D (Desktop) or others to navigate the Open File dialog.
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Basic Mac OS X Graphical User Interface (GUI) Elements
clickable for bigger picture
Thumb resize.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving01 View Post
New convert from Windows so right now fighting through all the non-intuitive crap. I notice when in an application, when I go to open a file, it will automatically take me to a folder (I guess that is "finder"?), like the one that contains the file I used last.
What I've hilited in bold is actually called an "open dialog" or "file picker dialog". It is NOT called "Finder".

The Finder is an app. It appear when you click the desktop. You can tell it's active because the first menu, next to the icon, will say Finder in bold.

If you say "finder", everyone here will think of the Finder app, not the Open Dialog in an application.

Quote:
How do I navigate UP in the directory hierarchy? In windows explorer/apps there is either a button with an up arrow in it or you can see your whole path so you can click to whatever part of the hierarchy you want to view. Are folder hierarchies irrelevant in MACs? What is the purpose of hiding where you are?
There is a popup control that shows where you are. It has the name of the folder. Click it and it will popup (expand) to show the path of folders leading to that point in the hierarchy.

There are also icons in the toolbar, to the left of the hierarchy popup, that let you change the view of displayed files. The icon view is a typical default. Other choices are the list view, column view, and cover flow view. In each case, you will be able to ascend the hierarchy using the popup, and the view in the content area will appear in list, column, or cover flow form. Ascending the hierarchy will cause some views (list, column) to display expandable folders or selectable folder columns.

If you need more explanation, please identify your OS version, and which application you are using the Open Dialog in. The OS version is relevant because view options and presentation vary by OS version. The application is relevant because some apps have heavily customized Open dialogs.

You might also post a screen shot of the Open dialog you're having trouble navigating, and someone here can probably explain what the different controls are.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving01 View Post
I notice when in an application, when I go to open a file, it will automatically take me to a folder (I guess that is "finder"?), like the one that contains the file I used last. How do I navigate UP in the directory hierarchy?
Next to the box where the file name shows up (I think) there is a "disclosure triangle". Click that to reveal (or disclose) an expanded window, which will allow you to navigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
What I've hilited in bold is actually called an "open dialog" or "file picker dialog".
Or "Open/Save Dialog"
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:38 PM   #6
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Next to the box where the file name shows up (I think) there is a "disclosure triangle". Click that to reveal (or disclose) an expanded window, which will allow you to navigate.

Or "Open/Save Dialog"
Save dialogs typically have the disclosure triangle. Open dialogs typically don't.

For examples of dialogs, look at TextEdit, Safari, or anything that has an Open... menu item and a Save, Save as..., or Export menu item.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help