Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hobojoe55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I am currently working on running Ubuntu on my 2g ipod. I am doing this in a similar way to how bochs can run Windows 98/Me on your ipod.

I am porting Virtual Box to run on the ipod touch (converting to .ipa) and installing it with installous. I am going to use Virtual Box to run linux.

I will report back when I am done.

Wish me luck!

Hobojoe55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I am not aiming for speed i am trying to get it to work. If it works I may improve. The 2g is just my test ipod and i will use a 4g if it works.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The current version of Ubuntu is too heavy for an iPod. I have an old HP machine that came with XP, and can run up to Windows 7 okay, but Ubuntu just lags. You're going to have to take all the eye candy away from it. ;)

Hobojoe55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I am using a version of ubuntu that my friend has customized for his homemade tablet all the drivers for touchscreen and all that are there. He even got multi touch to play nice.

Hobojoe55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Well..... I had a boot screen, then desktop, then a full system crash, now its bricked. I guess I'll work on this next week but I'm down for now.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
This thread is hysterical. Op needs to troll harder though, maybe some photoshopped "screenshots" would help?

Please, don't let me take you away from your valiant effort of "converting Virtual Box to an IPA file". If you have some time in the future grand sensei, I would very much appreciate to know how you managed to single-handedly port several hundred thousand lines of code to iOS, and how you managed to get a binary translator that predominantly targets an x86 host running on ARM instead.

What's that? Trade secret? Okay then :). Hope you fix your "bricked" iPod Touch 2G. I hear "full system crashes" are particularly bad and difficult to recover from. Maybe we'll get an IPA release next week though!

-SC

bmauter

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
Please, don't let me take you away from your valiant effort of "converting Virtual Box to an IPA file". If you have some time in the future grand sensei, I would very much appreciate to know how you managed to single-handedly port several hundred thousand lines of code to iOS, and how you managed to get a binary translator that predominantly targets an x86 host running on ARM instead.

I find it believable. From the QEMU homepage: "QEMU is a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer." QEMU (on which VirtualBox is based) is written in C. Therefore the guts are probably pretty straightforward to get going on iOS. The configuration GUI in VirtualBox has to be different, but you don't need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I find it believable. From the QEMU homepage: "QEMU is a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer." QEMU (on which VirtualBox is based) is written in C. Therefore the guts are probably pretty straightforward to get going on iOS. The configuration GUI in VirtualBox has to be different, but you don't need it.

Nope. Op said virtualbox not Qemu. It is not possible to run VirtualBox on Arm.
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27621&p=123211&hilit=+ipad

Also OP said that the ubuntu crash caused the ipod to brick. Also not possible if its virtualized.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmauter

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.