5th Gen iPod Touch: Loose home button - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
hfcaj153
macrumors newbie

Question 5th Gen iPod Touch: Loose home button

Hi guys,

Just bought an iPod touch 5g 64gb last week then I suddenly noticed that it has a slightly loose home button. I compared it against my iPod touch 2g (which I've been using a lot for the past years) and my 2g's home button is more intact than my 5g.

I'm quite worried 'cause it might get worse. Do you guys noticed such? Or is it the 5g was really made that way. Comments are welcome. Thanks.
hfcaj153 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Same here.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Jonaswq
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcaj153 View Post
Hi guys,

Just bought an iPod touch 5g 64gb last week then I suddenly noticed that it has a slightly loose home button. I compared it against my iPod touch 2g (which I've been using a lot for the past years) and my 2g's home button is more intact than my 5g.

I'm quite worried 'cause it might get worse. Do you guys noticed such? Or is it the 5g was really made that way. Comments are welcome. Thanks.
My 32gb iPod touch 5g has the loose home button too. If I move left/right or up/down, there's this clicking sound. Not sure if this is normal or not.

I tried on my sister's iPod touch 2g, it has the clicking sound.

My previous iPod (4th gen) has no clicking sound at all.
Jonaswq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Psycna
macrumors member

OMG! I just decided to buy an ipt5. So, Is that means all first part iPods produced with this issue?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycna View Post
OMG! I just decided to buy an ipt5. So, Is that means all first part iPods produced with this issue?
maybe, but you don't know if this is the actual design, which means other batches later will also have this issue

the home button is working perfectly though, we're just concerning that it will break someday, i guess it won't (hopefully)
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Sounds like a design flaw. Have any of you tried asking at an Apple store yet?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:01 PM   #7
cnev3
macrumors 6502

I've owned an iPod Touch with a loose home button. It wasnt a big enough deal to me to exchange it. It didn't affect the functionality.
cnev3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:11 PM   #8
hfcaj153
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul80 View Post
Sounds like a design flaw. Have any of you tried asking at an Apple store yet?

I've called Apple service center here in our place. They said they don't have a go signal yet on how to treat/accommodate iPod touch 5th gen issues. They said they'll call me once they have the green light.

I'll still go to Apple service center on Monday to see if they have developments.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:42 AM   #9
Jonaswq
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcaj153 View Post
I've called Apple service center here in our place. They said they don't have a go signal yet on how to treat/accommodate iPod touch 5th gen issues. They said they'll call me once they have the green light.

I'll still go to Apple service center on Monday to see if they have developments.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks.
Does your ipod wifi antenna (black oval shape thing at back of your ipod) have any problems?

The right side of my ipod antenna seems higher than the left side. There's a tiny slope there?? And when I use a little force to push down the lower side, it went down a little. Don't know if this is only me or everyone has this too D;

Last edited by Jonaswq; Nov 4, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:58 AM   #10
wooddorf
macrumors member

I had my first 5th Gen warrantied at the Apple Store because it had a small dent and the Wi-Fi antenna area was pressed in. The replacement has a sunken in home button that feels loose and barely clicks. I can hardly tell when I'm pressing it.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:01 AM   #11
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
if i was unhappy with the device and i was well within the 14 day return policy, i wouldn't hesitate to return that sucker.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:32 AM   #12
Jonaswq
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddorf View Post
I had my first 5th Gen warrantied at the Apple Store because it had a small dent and the Wi-Fi antenna area was pressed in. The replacement has a sunken in home button that feels loose and barely clicks. I can hardly tell when I'm pressing it.
OMG MINE TOO!!

My wifi antenna seemed uneven, like one side is higher and the other side is lower and it can be pressed in!!!

Does all the first patch ipod touch 5g like this!?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:51 PM   #13
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Wont hurt to notice apple regarding the loose button.

It also happened here where i live, many complained. I think it might be defect for first lot because so many people want to get them so they hurry in production. IFIXIT already opened them up and see the home button quite fragile compare older gen.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:31 PM   #14
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

Not that it helps any, but i'm not suffering from either of these issues, got my 64gb one the first week it was out from my local apple store.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:36 PM   #15
mrskb
macrumors member

I too have no problems whatsoever with my IPT 5g......
mrskb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:36 PM   #16
samanthas
macrumors regular

Just bought mine and yes there is a little wiggle. Nothing to take it back for though.
samanthas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:36 PM   #17
wooddorf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddorf View Post
I got another replacement that is perfect. Everything works great. 😄
wooddorf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:30 AM   #18
emsss
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonaswq View Post
My 32gb iPod touch 5g has the loose home button too. If I move left/right or up/down, there's this clicking sound. Not sure if this is normal or not.

heyy, the same thing happens to me too. bought new ipodt 5th 64gb few weeks ago and now the home button is giving me a headache. its very loose. my previous ipodt 4th dint have this issue. the home button worked fine and very intact.

i mean, the whole ipod thing's still working fine, but seriously this loose home button is a problem for me.

im going to an apple store right now to ask abt this. btw, i ve in china so i dont know what to expect, but i really hope they give me a good solution for this matter.....
emsss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:36 PM   #19
hfcaj153
macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Apple told me they would replace it. I'm waiting for the unit to come within this week.

To all those having the same issue, might as well take it to the nearest apple store in your location so that they can evaluate if it's for replacement.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:49 AM   #20
Gibzokid
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Yeah mine too, with my new Ipod Touch 5g, if I even just tap the surface of the button with barely any pressure before I press it, it makes a weird clicking sound. The button works fine when it comes to functionality though but it can get irritating sometimes. I don't think that it is a big enough issue to send back to Apple for though.
Gibzokid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:26 AM   #21
rakadityas
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Does your ipod wifi antenna (black oval shape thing at back of your ipod) have any problems?

The right side of my ipod antenna seems higher than the left side. There's a tiny slope there?? And when I use a little force to push down the lower side, it went down a little. Don't know if this is only me or everyone has this too D;
Its different for me, the antenna on the left higher than the
rakadityas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch