Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay im looking to do this effect.

i know how to do it in 3d... full effect and all... but the catch is... can it be done for a one color screen print job?

so thats basically my problem. im not sure if it can be done... have text look like its carved out of stone and at the same time be a one color line art type of job.... no gradients or blurs or fades or anything of that nature.

thnx for any help.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I'm not an expert...

...but perhaps you could convert your pretty 3d image to a coarse monocrome halftone screen? I have Photoshop Elements and I know it has a colour halftone filter, not sure about mono though. There are also various line-art filters you could try.

Or there is a free application called ImageTricks (Tiger only, I think) that does halftone effects too.

http://www.belightsoft.com/products/imagetricks/overview.php

Hope I'm not way off with these suggestions. Good luck!

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
jacg said:
...but perhaps you could convert your pretty 3d image to a coarse monocrome halftone screen? I have Photoshop Elements and I know it has a colour halftone filter, not sure about mono though. There are also various line-art filters you could try.

Or there is a free application called ImageTricks (Tiger only, I think) that does halftone effects too.

http://www.belightsoft.com/products/imagetricks/overview.php

Hope I'm not way off with these suggestions. Good luck!

thnx man. this does help a little. do you have expierence with halftones and screen printing?

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
krossfyter said:
yes that would be me at 15% body fat... now im at 12% trying to reach 8%.

I believe 11-18% is healthy for a male in the age-group of 18-26 or something like that. Dropping much below 11% and you start to put strain on other elements of your body, specifically some internals that require the stores of fat to aid in processing and repair of other internals. Besides, you can make 11% look incredibly lean if you add some muscle ;) (not saying you need to, that was a generalized comment)

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
efoto said:
I believe 11-18% is healthy for a male in the age-group of 18-26 or something like that. Dropping much below 11% and you start to put strain on other elements of your body, specifically some internals that require the stores of fat to aid in processing and repair of other internals. Besides, you can make 11% look incredibly lean if you add some muscle ;) (not saying you need to, that was a generalized comment)

i hear ya. im not going to stay there.... im getting lean first... then concentrating on muscle mass. im 5'8" and 175LBS at 12% body fat at the moment and a future goal of mine would be to be 210LBS at 10-11% body fat.

ive come from 245LBS at 32% body fat.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
krossfyter said:
thnx man. this does help a little. do you have expierence with halftones and screen printing?

Not so much with screen printing, so don't rely totally on my thoughts. I've done some shirt designs and used course halftones for monchrome images.

The more course the halftone, the more shades of grey can be created and printed effectively (using low resolution processes such as photocopying and, I assume, screen printing). Obviously the dot size (or line width, or whatever) gets larger and looks quite wierd close up, but I quite like this effect.

Good luck with your design.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
krossfyter said:
i hear ya. im not going to stay there.... im getting lean first... then concentrating on muscle mass. im 5'8" and 175LBS at 12% body fat at the moment and a future goal of mine would be to be 210LBS at 10-11% body fat.

ive come from 245LBS at 32% body fat.

Awesome that you came down from that 245lb. weight, great job and a nice success story. Getting lean is great, staying there at such a low bf% is quite hard. Being 5'8" at 175lb. with 12% you must be pretty cut as is, I cannot imagine trying to get even more lean. I am 5'9.75" (I hate 5'10" :p ) at about 160lb. and 12.4% bf. So basically, chock on 15 more lbs. of muscle and I am you, must be nice ;) It is hard to really gain 'lean muscle' as gaining is much simpler with mass gain followed by cuts.

If I may, what is the reasoning to your 210lb. goal? Are you playing a specific sport or want to be a lifter? Seems like a large number for your frame, although at that bf% would no doubt look quite ripped.

Sorry for the OT post....yeah, I really have no excuse :p

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
jacg said:
Not so much with screen printing, so don't rely totally on my thoughts. I've done some shirt designs and used course halftones for monchrome images.

The more course the halftone, the more shades of grey can be created and printed effectively (using low resolution processes such as photocopying and, I assume, screen printing). Obviously the dot size (or line width, or whatever) gets larger and looks quite wierd close up, but I quite like this effect.

Good luck with your design.

thnx man. im trying to learn this stuff. if you know of any online tutorials or information about this go ahead and let me know. thnx again.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
efoto said:
Awesome that you came down from that 245lb. weight, great job and a nice success story. Getting lean is great, staying there at such a low bf% is quite hard. Being 5'8" at 175lb. with 12% you must be pretty cut as is, I cannot imagine trying to get even more lean. I am 5'9.75" (I hate 5'10" :p ) at about 160lb. and 12.4% bf. So basically, chock on 15 more lbs. of muscle and I am you, must be nice ;) It is hard to really gain 'lean muscle' as gaining is much simpler with mass gain followed by cuts.

If I may, what is the reasoning to your 210lb. goal? Are you playing a specific sport or want to be a lifter? Seems like a large number for your frame, although at that bf% would no doubt look quite ripped.

Sorry for the OT post....yeah, I really have no excuse :p

so we're just about the same size... close. cool. ive made it a priority to preserve as much muscle as possible on a cutting diet... and now that im on a professional cutting program i will do a lot better.
my goal of 210 at 11 or 12% is mainly for aesthetics. im an artist.. i like the way it looks... if im imagining correctly.. and thats something id like to strive for on my own body.... if possible... or close. my goal is to have the physique of mike tyson at his prime (86-88).... im a meso-endo frame/body type... so is he... so i will at least come close if i try hard enough. are you having a hard time keeping at that body fat?... you maintaining?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.