Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
UK
What do you think the next eMac update will bring?

The low end model still ships with 256MB RAM :eek: That's one area they need to improve.

What about built in Airport and Bluetooth? Now that the mini has them I would expect the eMac to have it too. Maybe a 1.5Ghz G4 like the new minis - or even a 1.67ghz?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Its very hard to tell these days when Apple updates will be out. There probably will be one last update to the eMac to put it up to 1.42GHz and 1.5GHz, with wireless standard. Oh, and yes, bring the low end up to 512MB standard on the RAM. But like I said, its very hard to tell as Apple has just started to release updates when ever. The eMac was last updated in May, so it wasn't really too long ago that it was updated.

I would just buy the eMac with the things you want in it. You're probably going to pay a little more, but thats the way things go sometimes. It can happen when you buy anything.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
It's funny too because I actually like the eMac. I mean, its nothing I would buy, I need something more high end, but they are ok computers. And they definetly have the "ease of setup" going for them. Which the iMac does too, but those are a lot more expensive. So I wouldn't mind if they kept them, I just don't think they will. The only way I see the eMac staying is if they put an LCD display into it. Which, I suppose, could happen. Probably have like a 15" so it wouldn't mess with the iMac's market, and of course it would keep with the G4, or a low end G5 (or intel by the time it would happen.)

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
joecool85 said:
It's funny too because I actually like the eMac. I mean, its nothing I would buy, I need something more high end, but they are ok computers. And they definetly have the "ease of setup" going for them. Which the iMac does too, but those are a lot more expensive. So I wouldn't mind if they kept them, I just don't think they will. The only way I see the eMac staying is if they put an LCD display into it. Which, I suppose, could happen. Probably have like a 15" so it wouldn't mess with the iMac's market, and of course it would keep with the G4, or a low end G5 (or intel by the time it would happen.)

You're probably right.

Another thing we might see is the eMac replaced by a higher-end Mini accompanied (perhaps?) by an expansion of the iMac line.

lizard79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
joecool85 said:
It's funny too because I actually like the eMac.

Me too. It's the ideal computer for parents and grandparents. Works out of the box, "allinone" design, enough power for daily business like surfing, mailing and sorting photos ;) and not that expensive..

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
FF_productions said:
the eMac is pretty much a EDUCATIONAL computer, it wouldn't make sense for them to drop the eMac.
Expect the eMac to stay around -- and likely be updated to x86 rather quick to keep educational momentum.

But Apple is in a pickle, the G4 eMac still works with a lot of the old Mac educational software.

If Apple upgrade to the eMac x86 and doesn't include at least a downgraded Classic G3 layer (currently it's probably tuned for the G4 and a Virtual Machine newer than a iBook G3) -- Apple is going to roast a lot of old software (really, really old) some schools have been using.

eMac x86 will compete better with Dell, but it comes at a cost of old OS 7-9 software that's probably still being used.

So cost vs. compatibility...

---

With education, it's not quite clear what Apple will do. The equation is a little more complex than Joe Blow consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.