Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
The current generation is only a few months old at this point; there will not be another iPod update until the end of the year, around September/October. And who knows if the nano will even be updated then? The last design lasted two years. The current iPod nano is a great little iPod; if you need it, get it and you won't be disappointed :)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
There are some things that the 7G nano doesn't have that could be dealbreakers for 6G owners. For one, the 7G doesn't have a clip. Another is that the 7G can't be used as a watch.

The 7G does bring some cool stuff to the table, though. Bluetooth, full Nike+ support (works with sensor and HR strap; perhaps not the remote though) without dongle, video capabilities, etc.

Only you can decide whether it meets your needs.

As for the 6G, how is it broken? Is it just a dead battery. Did the buttons stop working? Not sure about the warranty laws/rules in Australia, but in the US, Apple has a program to replace* dead batteries for $59. (* - replacing the battery means giving you a new/refurb ipod).

Perhaps if you have a dead battery, Apple Australia has a similar program. If it's the buttons, you may want to see if Apple will give you a replacement for a nominal fee. Or you can fix it yourself as the button problem is sort of common and someone with a moderate skill set can fix, provided your OK with a heat gun to loosen the glue.

vincelam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Sydney, Australia
the button broke but i didn't want to fix it as it costs AU$75 to replace for a refurb model. I felt that i might get a new one when i go overseas. because its been past 3 months i might wait for the next gen or simply just not get one. i already got an iPad mini and iPhone 4 but there is not enough space to store my music

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
Not sure what 8th gen would bring to the table.
Bought the 7 for my wife, she likes to listen to FM on occasion, and like the idea of being able to finally go wireless with Bluetooth headset.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
the button broke but i didn't want to fix it as it costs AU$75 to replace for a refurb model. I felt that i might get a new one when i go overseas. because its been past 3 months i might wait for the next gen or simply just not get one. i already got an iPad mini and iPhone 4 but there is not enough space to store my music

Vince, I remember seeing a blog post somewhere where the guy fixes a 6g nano that had a bad button. It didn't seem too hard to do. It had something to do with the way the buttons are attached and you need a better shim.

vincelam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I've seen many of them before. I just didn't want to risk damaging it. I also don't have the tools for it. In Australia some resellers are selling the 8gb 4 th gen iPod touch for only $129. I might buy that consider you can do way more on that device. But only time can tell if I buy the 7th gen nano. Thanks ftaok!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.