Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I have taken it for granted after 3 years with the iphone uninterupted was the lack of branding....

I was tempted to look at the note as an additional line until i saw this

verizon-galaxy-note2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Well, I'd say that's generally not an iPhone vs Android Phone kind of thing, but a carrier specific thing. At least here in Sweden we don't have to put up with that kind of branding on any phones.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Well, I'd say that's generally not an iPhone vs Android Phone kind of thing, but a carrier specific thing. At least here in Sweden we don't have to put up with that kind of branding on any phones.

Yeah I understand that and I can't wait to move to sweden either but there is no branding at all on any iPhone where the carriers as allowed to do it for androids.

ItsNeil4Real

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
The branding is whatever. A lot of times you get a case. The thing I think most people overlook is bloat ware!! Just got my girlfriends dad an LG Intuition for a steal and in the applications thing it had almost 3 pages of crap that you can't remove. Of course the apps aren't actually installed but you can't remove the damn icons and it just adds so much clutter!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The back doesn't seem bad. The home button thing on the front seems awfully gaudy.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
All that branding doesn't stop on the outside.

One of the main reasons people root their Android device is to rid it of carrier installed bloatware.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have no problem with the branding, most people put covers on their phones so much of the time its hidden. What's the big deal if it has a fruit logo or a the att death star :confused:

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
OP does it really bother you that much? Enough to keep you from buying a device? Wow, I wish that insignificant little thing was what I had to worry about.

Thanks for the sarcastic tone. I am originally from England so I buy unlocked anyways but when you are still spending $300 on a carrier locked phone it's a pain along with bloatware

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Really? When I lived there (early 2000) there were plenty of branded phones. I specifically remember one brand, it was a red(dish) circle... Ugly as all hell. Not to mention 3, every single phone had their logo on them. Glad to hear they've stopped ;)

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I have taken it for granted after 3 years with the iphone uninterupted was the lack of branding....

verizon-galaxy-note2.jpg

So there is no branding on the back of your iPhone?

What do you call the :apple: back there?

That's BRANDING ! :D

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
i don't see the big deal about branding. Its on everything we own anyway.
Some people consider branding a status symbol. The North Face anyone?
Cant say id ever choose a phone because of branding. My Nike sneakers have 4 swoosh logos on each one. And I've never seen anyone rip the Mercedes Logo off their car. This thread is foolish, carry on.;)

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have no problem with the branding, most people put covers on their phones so much of the time its hidden. What's the big deal if it has a fruit logo or a the att death star :confused:

Yes, there is an apple logo on the back of the iPhone --which isn't a big deal but non-Apple phones often have huge branding on the back, the front and in this case even the home button. It's tacky.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

verizon-galaxy-note2.jpg

It really isn't a big deal.

I'd give up an unbranded phone that limits my use capabilities to get a branded phone that lets me do anything I want with a bigger screen and more function.

It's function over aesthetics.

Plus anyone with half a brain will have the phone in a case anyway, it costs between 250-300 just for the PART to fix the screen!

One drop and you get hit hard, and with a case you can't see it.

Now I do think the Verizon logo on the front is quite gay, especially since the rest of the phones on other carriers don't have it.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Thanks for the sarcastic tone. I am originally from England so I buy unlocked anyways but when you are still spending $300 on a carrier locked phone it's a pain along with bloatware

This is why I don't care that Americans have cheaper computer hardware, because their phone plans are utterly terrible :p

$300 on a locked phone with a two year contract, bahahaha :p

And seriously, they're putting the name of the network on the home button now? When did that start? It looks so ugly and a case probably won't cover it either (which I guess is the point).

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
What was sarcastic? I have kids, a wife, thousands of Airmen and dependants, vehicles, animals to worry about, and that's just the start. I wish some branding on a phone was what kept me up at night and made me worry. You must think it's a big deal if you felt the need to make a thread about it.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yes, there is an apple logo on the back of the iPhone --which isn't a big deal but non-Apple phones often have huge branding on the back, the front and in this case even the home button. It's tacky.

I'm not offended by the Samsung branding, or even the gaudy "Galaxy Note II" brand on the back, though I think it's a little large. It's all the carrier crap that starts to make it look awful.

Our iPhones don't have giant AT&T logos all over the place, with "4G LTE" screaming for the hilltops. Reminds me of horrible cameras that spout their specs in huge print all over the camera.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
i don't see the big deal about branding. Its on everything we own anyway.

I don't mind a logo or two on the back. It's carriers going NASCAR, and branding devices inside and out with their logos and bloatware that turns me away.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I dont know about the Bloatware but to some the single :apple: is a status symbol, were as a samsung is not. JMO i may be wrong.

That depends on where you live, and how much value people there place on social status.

In China and the slums of America, flaunting that Apple logo is a HUGE deal because of how much gap there is between rich and poor. In other places, it's pretty ho-hum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.