Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbogaert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Hi,

I'm having an issue with apps bought from the Mac App Store.

After a reboot of OS X, I often need to re-enter my Apple ID password in order to use the apps I bought in the app store. Sometimes I have to re-enter my password only once and all the apps work (until the next reboot), but often I have to repeat this for every single app store app I open.

For example, I might get this dialog the first time I launch Reeder after rebooting OS X:
Dialog.png

Note that the dialog remembers my Apple ID, but I have deleted it before taking a screenshot (for privacy).

I have tried to delete the following files:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.storeagent
~/Library/Cookies/com.apple.appstore.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.storeagent.plist

But this didn't solve the problem. I have reinstalled all the apps, but that didn't help either. Moreover, I have done a clean install of OS X (for another reason) but I still have this issue with Mac App Store apps. Could this be related to my hardware or Apple ID?

Is there anyone who has had a similar problem or someone who might help me?

Thanks,

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Seems your Mac thinks that the Apple ID of your computer is not the Apple ID that was used to download those apps. It is the behaviour that you would expect if you copied an app from another Mac.

Open the App Store application and check "View my account" in the Store menu. Does it say what you expect?

And deleting random files is _not_ going to help.

cbogaert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I have never used another Apple ID and "view my account" shows my account, the one that I used to download these apps.

Those are not random files. I read reports of other issues with the Mac App Store that were resolved by deleting them, that's why I tried it.

cbogaert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I tried it, but I still have to enter my Apple ID password to launch App Store apps after a reboot...

alshula

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Georgia, USA
Try logging out of the App Store and iTunes, close them, and then retry the above steps. You could also include removing the files:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.storeagent
~/Library/Cookies/com.apple.appstore.plist

which were on your original list. None of this will hurt anything.

Which version of OS X are you running?

----------

One more thing, check your purchases once you log back in to the App Store. You may have to "accept" them. It will show up as a button to the right of your apps.

cbogaert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
That didn't work either. I'm running OS X 10.8.2.

Could this somehow be related to my Apple ID or my hardware, because I did a clean install last week and that didn't solve the problem (I had the same issue before).

alshula

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Georgia, USA
I doubt that it is your hardware or Apple ID. Unfortunately, this is the last thing I can think of to try. Remember to log out of the App Store and iTunes. Then:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist
rm -r ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.appstore.savedState
rm -r ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore
rm -r /private/var/folders/*/*/*/com.apple.appstore

If you contact Apple, they will most likely tell you to delete the applications and re-download them, which you have already tried.

Hope this works. It should ask you once per application to enter your ID and password after you try this. It shouldn't ask again. Let me know if this worked.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hey. If anyone needs the solution you can find it here:

SOLUTION: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609

(I didn't write it, just found it).
Obvious that you didn't write it when it was an Apple support page. and, apparently you also didn't read that page, or compare it to the OPs original problem, which is probably not a keychain issue.
Not the same problem at all, and hopefully, after nearly 3 years, the OP has figured it out. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.