Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hi there,

Now I've seen plenty of videos and images/walkthroughs outlining how to install an internal SSD into an iMac, (my model is the one in my sig). But I'd really like to keep my warranty in check (3 years apple care!). I've seen a few posts that have said you can use an external SSD for your boot drive and run OSX on it, programmes ect, then have your original SATA drive for media just like an internal SSD would operate.

Now surly there must be some sort of catch, as if this was the case why would people risk breaking their beloved iMacs by stripping them (apart from the enjoyment side) when they could just have an external SSD? After all, the machine doesn't move anywhere?

p.s If i was to do this, and it is possible - which external SSD would you recommend?

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is possible:

As for SSD, the Samsung 840 or Crucial M4 or OCZ Vertex 4 are recommended SSDs:
It is best to use an external USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt enclosure for 2.5" HDDs/SSDs.

As to why many open up their Macs, many stated they do not like additional cables and such. I for myself would not care that much with pre 2012 iMacs, and I upgraded my 2007 iMac with a bigger HDD and then SSD internally. But then again, it was quite "easy" compared to 2012 iMacs.

Zav

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Great reply and great links, thank you!

In terms of manoeuvrability, if I needed to move my Mac say to another room.. would removing the SSD from the back of the Mac then putting it back in cause any bother (I guessed no, but better to be safe).

Nov 28, 2010
located
Great reply and great links, thank you!

In terms of manoeuvrability, if I needed to move my Mac say to another room.. would removing the SSD from the back of the Mac then putting it back in cause any bother (I guessed no, but better to be safe).

Since the iMac is off during this undertaking, there will be no problems in disconnecting the switched off external SSD and later reconnecting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.