Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:46 AM   #1
thepominlaw
macrumors member

Is it Worth Clean Installing iMac?

My imac late 2009 base is starting to run a little slow, is full of folders from programmes installed and removed over the years and over the last month i have had a few issues also (scanner, printer and mouse driver issues). The system originally ran snow leopard, this was upgraded to lion and this to mountain lion.

Probably going to regret saying this now i only have 1 month of applecare left but the mac has been super reliable over the last 3 years. Its left on 24/7 with only the screen set to sleep and is only restarted when needed.

I use clean my mac and onyx for maintenance but I am thinking that a fresh installation of mountain Lion may help.

Would be interested to hear your opinion, I have a timemachine backup, carbon copy backup and files on bluray disk but i am still nervous making the jump.
thepominlaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:48 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Yes, a clean install can do wonders.
As for CleanMyMac:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.
Five Mac maintenance myths
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

What would increase performance and speed drastically would be installing an SSD. Then you would really see an increase in speed and your iMac would feel new again.
Tanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:57 AM   #4
0dev
macrumors 68040

Despite what a lot of people say, Macs aren't magic and, like all computer systems, they do benefit from a clearing out now and then.

That said, if you restore from Time Machine you will likely put all the junk back on anyway. You want to manually back up all your important files and manually restore them afterwards. That way the system and settings are fresh and you aren't restoring things you don't need. Then you will notice a real difference.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:00 AM   #5
thepominlaw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
What would increase performance and speed drastically would be installing an SSD. Then you would really see an increase in speed and your iMac would feel new again.
Would like to install a SSD inplace of the optical drive but cannot find anywhere to do the install for me in the uk thats local.
thepominlaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:02 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
I say, wait a bit until 10.8.3, it might get better.

I am on MR most of the day for ages and it seems older hardware doesn't run ML smoothly, heck even people with new Mac's are complaining about ML slugginess.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Jedi
macrumors regular

A new System Folder does wonders !!

Gary 
Jedi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:13 AM   #8
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
A new System Folder does wonders !!

Gary 
Depends, most of the time not so much, there's not much in the System folder which gets updated on a regular bases, Caches do and a few more files, the rest is static until the next update.
And, since when can you update the System Folder by itself, there are a few more folders on the root level which also will be updated if you do so.

Cleaning on a mac doesn't make much difference overall, but there are sometimes problems and a few of them are corrupt .plist files, caches and startup deamons and startup agents, that's where you have to look.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

I got my first iMac in 2007 and am on my 4th one now. Never have done a clean install. Did a simple Time Machine transfer from one machine to the next.

I have had no issues. When I transfer from one machine to the next, I noticed improvements only because each successive iMac was faster than the previous.

When you do a time machine restore, you are simply transferring data and settings. The basic OS on the new machine is already "clean".

I guess it couldn't hurt to start fresh but in my experience, I never really needed it.

What you can do is simply wipe your iMac. Re-install the OS and then put your data back on using Time Machine. That will probably be sufficient.
Chris Blount is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:17 PM   #10
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

No.

Clean installs are usually a waste of time. Just because there are a bunch of deprecated files laying around doesn't mean they are slowing much of anything down. You are far better off diagnosing your problem and fixing it.

Clean installing is like replacing your engine because your car is running a bit ragged. It might work, but a far less drastic solution, like new plugs, might have worked just as well.
robgendreau is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:28 PM   #11
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to backup the home folder and then reinstall and then copy across home folder?
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:30 PM   #12
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
Is it possible to backup the home folder and then reinstall and then copy across home folder?
Yes, but either use Time Machine or one of the cloning apps, CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper!, to clone the home folder back and forth, as copying will introduce permission problems.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac