Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:51 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Best Buy Complains About Walmart's iPhone 5 Holiday Sale, Claims $65,000 Profit Loss in One Day

The Wall Street Journal notes that several retailers including Best Buy and Toys "R" Us have complained to attorneys general in a handful of states about advertising practices of Walmart. Generally, the complaints stem from comparison ads by Walmart in which competitors assert that Walmart is using inaccurate pricing or non-equivalent items to claim that it offers the lowest pricing.

But Best Buy also alleges that Walmart was deceptive with its iPhone 5 holiday sale in which it dropped pricing to $127, although the article quotes $150 pricing.
Quote:
Best Buy said it lost about $65,000 in profit the day Wal-Mart's promotion first ran on Facebook, because it was compelled to match Wal-Mart's advertised $150 price, even though it concluded that Wal-Mart didn't actually have a sufficient number of iPhones available.
Walmart claims that it did have sufficient stock of the iPhone 5, quoting 98% availability at its stores carrying the device. Walmart had noted as the sale launched that it was working closely with Apple on the promotion and was securing significant numbers of iPhones, but that the sale was first-come, first-served with no rain checks offered at stores where the device was out of stock.

Best Buy had already been selling the iPhone 5 for $149.99 when Walmart announced its own sale, but it is unclear if Best Buy used the $73 difference from regular price or $23 difference from Best Buy's sale price in calculating its profit loss. Assuming the latter, Best Buy would have price matched on approximately 2800 iPhone 5 sales in one day.

Article Link: Best Buy Complains About Walmart's iPhone 5 Holiday Sale, Claims $65,000 Profit Loss in One Day
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Sounds like a bunch of whining to me.
AFDoc is offline   42 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:52 AM   #3
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
awww Poor Best Buy

NOT

Bunch of clueless goof balls run Best Buy. Trying to sell Monster cables and Bose junk. And their extended warrantee.

The sales reps have no idea what they are actually talking about, and considering their geek squad is run by idiots, I don't like BB.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:52 AM   #4
cgc
macrumors 6502a

That could be an interesting way to attack a competing store.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Quu
macrumors 65816

Boo Hoo.
Quu is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:55 AM   #6
ECUpirate44
Banned

Wish amazon would put BB out of business already.
ECUpirate44 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
macrumors regular

We are suppose to care because...

Besides 68,000 is a drop in a bucket of multi-billion dollar gouging sales during the year
Avatarshark is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:56 AM   #8
samcraig
macrumors G5

As if Best Buy never advertises items for sale they only have 1-2 of?

Oh please. And Best Buy decided to price match during the holidays with their new policy. No one forced them to.

Maybe if Best Buy provided superior customer service people would still buy there.

As for Toys R Us - they are a complete mess. They should worry more about their infrastructure, customer service and empowering their employees vs a sale on iPhones.
samcraig is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Porco
macrumors 68000

um... Best Buy, you are apparently allowed to be called BEST BUY. As your name. All the time.
Suck it up!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:57 AM   #10
nfl46
macrumors 601

Great job, Walmart!
nfl46 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:59 AM   #11
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Every time I've tried to do a price match at our local Best Buy they call local stores to see if the product is in stock.

Most times, they cannot get through to the store in question (because the other store is too busy and won't answer their phones), or they get through, and find out that the other stores are out of stock.

Best Buy then refuses to price match because of the lack of stock in competing store. This is all stated in their price matching guarantee, but I guess not enforced everywhere.

Maybe the managers at our local Best Buys are more vigilant about not losing money on price matching. This has stopped me altogether from even trying Best Buy price matches. Which is either a win or a loss for Best Buy depending on how much they buy the product for. They either didn't lose money, or lost a sale.
bbeagle is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Tubebaum
macrumors newbie

None of the Walmarts anywhere near my school had the iPhone 5 in stock when I found out about their deal. Just saying.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:59 AM   #13
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Best Buy needs to concentrate on remaking their business or they won't be around to see 2014.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14
Jaasen Jones
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarshark View Post
We are suppose to care because...

Besides 68,000 is a drop in a bucket of multi-billion dollar gouging sales during the year
My thoughts exactly!
Jaasen Jones is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:00 AM   #15
thepowerofnone
macrumors member

You are allowed to complain to the government about someone else selling a product at a lower price than yours? Huh... news to me. I thought it was just called economics.
thepowerofnone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:00 AM   #16
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

I thought Best Buy only price matched when a local store had available stock. They've ALWAYS called the other store when doing a price match for me.
ugahairydawgs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:01 AM   #17
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Heh

Walmart is the devil but it's kind of hard to feel sorry for Best Buy because they obviously didn't either know that Walmart was going to do this nor did they have a plan in place for if a competing store did do this.

So how many phones did they sell? I bet they sold a ton. At less than they wanted but a sale is a sale.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:01 AM   #18
haydn!
macrumors 6502

To make sure I'm reading this right...

Best Buy complained because a competitor sold a product at a lower price? Which they felt forced them to offer it at the same lower price, leading them to loose money?

1. It's called competition,
2. Nobody forced Best Buy to drop their price. Some customers may have still chosen them over Walmart through brand preference/convenience of location,
3. No-wonder they failed so miserably in the UK if this is their response to a bit of friendly computation.
haydn! is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:02 AM   #19
samcraig
macrumors G5

Also wanted to add that Toys R Us has no right to complain because I can't remember anyone I know ever being successful at price matching at one of their stores.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:03 AM   #20
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

American companies doing to each other what they have been doing to American customers for ages.
ArchAndroid is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:03 AM   #21
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

What a wonderful use of the Attorney General's resources.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:05 AM   #22
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
Wish amazon would put BB out of business already.
They won't have to, BB is bleeding cash and losing customers every month now.

The founder is trying to buy the company and go private but the board thinks BB is worth a lot more, so as BB bleeds and becomes devalued, the founder is getting the company cheaper by the month, however they can not compete with Amazon and Apple directly. I have never heard one good Geek Squad story, and I warn people not to get it.

They have become a showcase for people to look and see the products and then buy them online or somewhere else cheaper.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:05 AM   #23
PeopleTheseDays
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
Every time I've tried to do a price match at our local Best Buy they call local stores to see if the product is in stock.

Most times, they cannot get through to the store in question (because the other store is too busy and won't answer their phones), or they get through, and find out that the other stores are out of stock.

Best Buy then refuses to price match because of the lack of stock in competing store. This is all stated in their price matching guarantee, but I guess not enforced everywhere.

Maybe the managers at our local Best Buys are more vigilant about not losing money on price matching. This has stopped me altogether from even trying Best Buy price matches. Which is either a win or a loss for Best Buy depending on how much they buy the product for. They either didn't lose money, or lost a sale.
I don't understand what is happening becausing checking stock of other stores seems to be the proper way to do it. If the other stores don't have stock then you couldn't get it at that price anyway, and you're just taking advantage of best buy's inventory and/or convenience of location to obtain your item. Doesn't anyone else feel this makes sense?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:05 AM   #24
GermanyChris
Banned

There is no such thing as friendly competition with Wallmart, but this doesn't make my Give-a-***** meter move.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:07 AM   #25
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
They have become a showcase for people to look and see the products and then buy them online or somewhere else cheaper.
This.
ECUpirate44 is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion