Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
My new iMac 27 is about to be delivered in the next 3 days.

If I tell the new iMac to use the same USB drive that contains my Time Machine Backups from my old iMac will it just be amended to the data that is already on the drive or will it want to format the drive and start a fresh.

Obviously I don't want to lose my data that I have from my previous iMac so I am a little unsure what will happen.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK

If I tell the new iMac to use the same USB drive that contains my Time Machine Backups from my old iMac will it just be amended to the data that is already on the drive or will it want to format the drive and start a fresh.

Obviously I don't want to lose my data that I have from my previous iMac so I am a little unsure what will happen.

If you use Migration Assistant to move your stuff from one Mac to another it should be okay

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

You will get a popup saying there is already a backup on the drive and it will ask if you want to merge the two or start a new backup. Just pick the one you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.