Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1
BigCanoe
macrumors regular

HTC Thunderbolt -> iPhone 4 temporarily...

Hey all,

I currently have an HTC Thunderbolt with unlimited data on Verizon. My 2 year contract is up in a couple of months. I am thinking of buying a 4 off someone at work. I dont currently use alot of data, but I am loathe to give up my unlimited just in case

Is it worth getting a 2 generations older iPhone at this point? Its a great condition 32GB version for $250 and it lets me retain my unlimited data!
BigCanoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:17 AM   #2
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
Hey all,

I currently have an HTC Thunderbolt with unlimited data on Verizon. My 2 year contract is up in a couple of months. I am thinking of buying a 4 off someone at work. I dont currently use alot of data, but I am loathe to give up my unlimited just in case

Is it worth getting a 2 generations older iPhone at this point? Its a great condition 32GB version for $250 and it lets me retain my unlimited data!
Personally, I think its worth it to buy a full priced iPhone 5 to keep your unlimited -- considering how much the major carriers are now charging new customers for limited data. However, I know they are pricey out of contract.

Keep that unlimited data!
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Bugeyeblue
macrumors 6502

If you have Verizon, a lot of people are saying they were able to keep unlimited data and still upgrade to the iPhone 5.
Bugeyeblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
Hey all,

I went from the HTC Thunderbolt to an iPhone 4s. Difference was night and day for battery life, touch screen sensitivity, and size. You'll miss the LTE but if you're on WiFi 99% of the day it won't matter.
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:27 AM   #5
BigCanoe
macrumors regular

Ya, I keep 4G turned OFF because my battery dies in a couple of hours with it on!! A 4S might be nicer, but if I plan to jump to a 5S in 6 months, I figure I can live with a 4 for that long. I could just keep using the TB, but I have so many apps on my iPad that I want to carry around with me on my phone too
BigCanoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Browns2212
macrumors regular

I had a Thunderbolt for about 3 months before I got the i5. I had a Droid X prior to that but wanted 4G (with Verizon) and bought a used Thunderbolt for $150.

I actually liked the phone, but yes, the batter life was terrible. That said, I just went on Amazon and bought an extra slim battery and an extra extended battery and cover.

That worked fine for me. I just swapped batteries if I was ever out and about without having access for the wall charger.

Worked for me. I got the two extra batteries for about $20. They are pretty cheap online.

I thought about buying an iPhone because I knew I was going to try out the iPhone 5 when it came out, but the 4 and 4s were $300 and $350 to buy used and I didn't want to spend that much money.

I got the iPhone 5 and haven't looked back. Gave the TB to my wife, who proceeded to drop it and crack the screen so she now has my old Droid X. She can actually upgrade tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what she wants to get. Will probably look at all the main options (i5, GS3 and Note2) even though we will probably go with the i5 just to keep in the ecosystem and she got an iPad 4 for X-mas.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone