Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
I'm still trying to burn those BMWfilms to a SVCD :D
I'm stuck again: After getting a friend to convert those WMV files to a MPG (I have a 400MHz G3, not enough for WMP, and those Quicktime files available aren't any good for a SVCD), I now have original resolution MPEG1-files. Should be good for a VCD, I thought, but nope, no luck here.
In Quicktime pro, you can't select just a track (video or audio); in fact, you can't use any of the commands in the edit menu. And when I try to export to another format, it tells me there is no video track available...(so what exactly is the moving picture I'm watching? ;) )
I already know my problem is probably that the MPG is muxed... so I demuxed it using bbDemux, but still no video track to work with.
What I basically need is a way to get this MPEG to a normal .mov file, then I could use the common tools to convert it to a MPEG2 and burn it to a SVCD...

So, summary: How do I convert a .mpg to a .mov?
Any help appreciated, Thanks, TheT

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
TheT,

Just a quick starter question. Are you trying to do this with the Season 1 BMW Films or Season 2?

If it's season 2, could it be that the embedded player is causing you trouble?

Anyways, the best way to demux mpg files is to use MoreMissingTools. I've tried to use bbDemux, but there was something wrong with how the audio track came out and iTunes wasn't able to convert it to AIFF.

Anyways, to make VCDs of muxed mpg's, you'll need the following:

1. MoreMissingTools - do a search for DemuxMpeg. There's a link that will take you to a page where you could d/l MMT.

2. iTunes - used to convert the audio file to AIFF.

3. QT Pro - used to combine the audio and video files back together.

4. Toast - used to create the VCD.

For detailed instructions on how to demux and recombine the file, do a search for "rodney weblogs" and go down to the part about demuxing files. If you want, I could e-mail you the portion that I took out and saved as a text file.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by ftaok
TheT,

Just a quick starter question. Are you trying to do this with the Season 1 BMW Films or Season 2?

If it's season 2, could it be that the embedded player is causing you trouble?

Anyways, the best way to demux mpg files is to use MoreMissingTools. I've tried to use bbDemux, but there was something wrong with how the audio track came out and iTunes wasn't able to convert it to AIFF.

Anyways, to make VCDs of muxed mpg's, you'll need the following:

1. MoreMissingTools - do a search for DemuxMpeg. There's a link that will take you to a page where you could d/l MMT.

2. iTunes - used to convert the audio file to AIFF.

3. QT Pro - used to combine the audio and video files back together.

4. Toast - used to create the VCD.

For detailed instructions on how to demux and recombine the file, do a search for "rodney weblogs" and go down to the part about demuxing files. If you want, I could e-mail you the portion that I took out and saved as a text file.
Thanks, I'll try the MMT right now... as of now, I only worked with the MissingMpegTools.

Yes, it is Season 2 (I got 1 on a DVD already) , but I'm not even gonna try to work around the embedded player, like I said, I got a friend who converted the WMV files to MPGs for me...

What I just tried now is trying to export via QTpro to a normal mov (not via the Toast VCE export option), but since I don't wanna have poor quality, I don't wanna use any compression... too bad I don't have 12GB free hard drive space :mad: Maybe MPEG4 will help me, but I doubt that, cause it'll be still MPEG...

Well, I'll try those tools now and post if it works later...

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Status update

...well, that weblog really helped me! Right now, I have those movies as demuxed and joined files here...

...now I have to get this file on a SVCD... that would be... how :confused:
Maybe MissingMpeg tools will do it now...? I doubt that, but I'll give it a try.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
MMT's mpeg2enc Command Line Client still gives me the following error:
../Private/Core/Source/MPPipeInstance.cpp:462: failed assertion `frame->source->isRunning()'
Abort
... of course the file is not running...
...anybody any clue? I tried the demuxed video file with the added audio AIFF track as a MPV now...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by TheT
MMT's mpeg2enc Command Line Client still gives me the following error:
../Private/Core/Source/MPPipeInstance.cpp:462: failed assertion `frame->source->isRunning()'
Abort
... of course the file is not running...
...anybody any clue? I tried the demuxed video file with the added audio AIFF track as a MPV now...
Hmm, I've never tried doing VCD that way. I don't have any help to offer for this hiccup.

But I'm glad that this far. Hopefully, someone else can shed some light on this.

Good Luck!

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by ftaok
Hmm, I've never tried doing VCD that way. I don't have any help to offer for this hiccup.

But I'm glad that this far. Hopefully, someone else can shed some light on this.

Good Luck!
Well, usually, I do VCD with Toast, the easy way. But I wanna have good quality for those movies, and sadly, there's no easy way to make SVCDs with a mac... but thanks again for your help. Maybe someone else knows how I can get my MPEG2 now...

TheT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
I think I got it!

I tried to use the .m1v file instead of the file where I added the audio in mpeg2enc, and now it seems to work (at least my computer is doing something ;) )
Not an easy way, but hey, it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.