Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1
lawlbringer
macrumors regular

Are new black iPhone 5's still having cosmetic issues?

Thinking of getting my girlfriend one, but I was curious if anyone has bought any within the last 30 days.

The color I was looking at was the black model, but as you already know there were a fair amount that had chipping/dents/scuffs out of the box back around launch. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
lawlbringer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Yes.

But majority of people don't go looking for issues. I went looking and found many.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

It's luck of the draw really. 50% change it'll be flawless and 50% chance you might find something wrong with it.

p.s. get your girlfriend the white one. i'm female and i think the black looks kinda dull, and more masculine IMO.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:04 AM   #4
zybersniper
macrumors member

I got my iPhone 5 (black) about 3 weeks ago. Today I noticed a few specks of paint missing from the chamfered edge after my phone got liquipeled. I believe even if the finish is perfect when you buy it, it's gonna get scuffed one way or another. I had my phone in a SGP Linear Metal EX case the entire time.
zybersniper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

If she doesn't use a case, the black iPhone will definitely get scuffed within a few months. I'd get her the white one if you think she'll be bothered by the black coating wearing off.

If she is going to use a case anyway, I don't think it matters.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502

I got a black one Jan. 1 and its flawless. I'm one to nitpick too.
moldy lunchbox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:57 AM   #7
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawlbringer View Post
Thinking of getting my girlfriend one, but I was curious if anyone has bought any within the last 30 days.

The color I was looking at was the black model, but as you already know there were a fair amount that had chipping/dents/scuffs out of the box back around launch. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
There are also reports of spontaneously bent iPhone. That tells you how much misinformation there is out there. The thing is, you can just go and get one and if it's not to your satisfaction, return it.

I believe that if you are a reasonable person, chances are you can walk to an Apple store, pick up an iPhone 5, and it will be reasonably flawless.

However if you take it home and start peering at it closely, you may appear to be some microscopic imperfection, most will turn out to be specks of dust, but there is a chance that one is a lighter color speck on the chamfer edge.

I got mine on launch day, and it's still perfect. I don't use a case.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Yes.

But majority of people don't go looking for issues. I went looking and found many.
It's a bit difficult not to spot silver flecks all over a black device. Or maybe it's just me?
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:28 PM   #9
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

I bought a 5 last weekend, came perfectly out of the box. I inspected it closely and could not find any blemishes.

And I agree, seems like most females prefer the white over black.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:33 PM   #10
chumawumba
Banned

Got one on Christmas, and i found an extremely minuscule scratch on the chamfered edge, but otherwise it was fine.
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone