Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basketball762

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Hi MacRumors! As I was trying to replace my optical drive with an optical bay for my HD so I could install a dual hard drive setup. Well as I was doing this, I accidentally stripped a screw. It was the last screw to get to before I could release the optical bay which makes it that much more frustrating. Attached you will see the three different screws which the optical drive is attached to. I stripped the bottom left one near the HD. I've tried using the rubber band trick but that didn't work and, I tried to use toothpaste as I heard that might work too. I'm wondering now if there is any possible way to get this stripped screw out so I can install my optical bay in. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks so much in advance :).

Attachments

• rAUl4NS6Yn2wDTLD.medium.jpeg
    rAUl4NS6Yn2wDTLD.medium.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 454

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
can you use drill bit with drill lightly drill the screw with drill gun, the bottom line is to get the screw out.
the idea is liken to get the rivet out of a down sprout on a gutter and replace with gutter screw.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If you can't remove it with a plier - you'll need to tap it (tap a new hole with a flathead and hammer) or be very careful with a drill.

At least it wasn't a screw on the MLB!

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Super glue on the tip of your screwdriver place it on the screw and allow it to bond then unscrew it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.