Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Okay so I'm having a lot of problems with my new bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad. I use both for my mac mini which is used as an HTPC. I have to get real close to my mac mini (which is near my tv) to able to use them both properly. If I try to use it on the couch (which is the reason why I got them) they become very sluggish and lose connectivity often.

There's a coffee table between my tv and couch. Does anyone know what's going on? I've switched out the batteries on both peripherals. Unpaired and paired both; I'm wondering if it is a wifi frequency issue?

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
That is strange. I use both a magic mouse and wireless keyboard from across the room without issue. Bluetooth generally has great distances for connection. (IE I can be all the way across my house and my bluetooth speaker still plays my music) I know wifi speeds take a dip if you are running on 2.4 and have bluetooth near by. This may go both ways?

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: radio interferences...

Hi phas3,

Depending upon your TV, and some both have Bluetooth as well as WiFi, you might be experiencing radio interference by having your Mac mini too close to your TV. Believe it or not, I have found that having a wireless router too close to a TV actually causes the router's radio to repeatedly switch off and back on.

Good luck,
Switon

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Hi phas3,

Depending upon your TV, and some both have Bluetooth as well as WiFi, you might be experiencing radio interference by having your Mac mini too close to your TV. Believe it or not, I have found that having a wireless router too close to a TV actually causes the router's radio to repeatedly switch off and back on.

Good luck,
Switon

hmm I have both my mac mini and router near my tv; will try to rearrange things later today and also turn off the wifi signal on the mac mini and just used wired ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.