Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williemoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
iMac 20 inch early 2008
6 GB ram
500 GB free space
The last 3 days the screen has frozen on me for no apparent reason.
I reinstalled Mtn Lion and it still did it the next day.
I have run DiskWarrior and Drive Genius - all is well.
It happens when I step away for a few hours and return to have the computer completely locked up. Have to power off to restart.
Any suggestions?

BigRedOne

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
I am having the same issue with my 2008 24". Interested in any feed back you receive.

pauldy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
I also have a 24" 2008 iturd with the nvidia 8800gs. I know it's the video card because it's already been replaced twice for the same issue. I don't know why this hasn't turned into a class action lawsuit. Anyone that has used the machines on and off heavily has seen the problem. The last time I was at the store I met two other people with the same problem. The story I eventually got was due to environmental restrictions in the UK nvidia was forced to change the formula in the solder they used for their chips during this time period. The new formula under the stress of repeated hot/cold cycles would form microfisures eventually leading to failed connections in the card. The result was a multitude of failure symptoms all related to the video cards themselves from artifacting, screen blanking and random lockups. Reflowing your card can bring it back but doesn't fix the underlying issue and it will return after time. Some people have reported success replacing with the alternative ati card offering at the time. Also this is not likely the OPs issue as the car din his machine is what people are using to fix their 24" imacs. I would look for clogged air ways in the mac there.

Last edited:

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I had a 2008 iMac that did this and it turned out to be a bad power supply. Hard to diagnose so try and rule out other things first.

If you have the installation DVD you could run Apple Hardware Test (AHT) to check for issues.

It also might be memory. AHT should pick it up if it is.

Good Luck

williemoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
The Kext Helper b7. link doesn't work.
Can you send an updated link to access the Kext Helper?
Thanks

BigRedOne

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
I just today decided to buy a new computer. Hopefully, I'll keep the new one for 7 years instead of 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.