Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:56 PM   #1
wogyield
macrumors newbie

My iphone 3GS stuck on activation screen

My iphone 3GS was using ios5.1.1 and did not have issues till i was ask to download ios6.After doing so i'm stuck in the activation screen and that my sim card is not compatible.I'm not able to restore it back when i plug into itunes as the update /restore button is not there anymore in the summary page.I tried using other sim card but return with the same message.i tried switching it off but having the same issue.i have search the net for answer but none seems to be able to help me.**** frustrated should have just ignored the update.I wonder whether the ios6 is working with iphone3GS?
Any one can help.
wogyield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:06 PM   #2
AlecEdworthy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogyield View Post
My iphone 3GS was using ios5.1.1 and did not have issues till i was ask to download ios6.After doing so i'm stuck in the activation screen and that my sim card is not compatible.I'm not able to restore it back when i plug into itunes as the update /restore button is not there anymore in the summary page.I tried using other sim card but return with the same message.i tried switching it off but having the same issue.i have search the net for answer but none seems to be able to help me.**** frustrated should have just ignored the update.I wonder whether the ios6 is working with iphone3GS?
Any one can help.
I have upgraded an iPhone 3GS to iOS 6 yesterday and I know of two colleagues who have done so recently, all without issue. The incompatible SIM card sounds like you have an unsupported carrier's SIM card in the handset and the handset has not been unlocked. By default iPhones bought from carriers are normally locked to that particular carrier. It is possible to get the carrier to unlock the handset in which case the unlock is permanent, or if the handset it suitable for jail breaking then a temporary software based unlock/activation can be done instead. When I say temporary I mean that because it is software based it will only last until the next software update or restore (e.g. Upgrading from 5.1.1 to 6 etc).

Take a look at http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ and see if you can get it unlocked or hacktivated through RedSn0w and friends.

Alec

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone