Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wogyield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
My iphone 3GS was using ios5.1.1 and did not have issues till i was ask to download ios6.After doing so i'm stuck in the activation screen and that my sim card is not compatible.I'm not able to restore it back when i plug into itunes as the update /restore button is not there anymore in the summary page.I tried using other sim card but return with the same message.i tried switching it off but having the same issue.i have search the net for answer but none seems to be able to help me.**** frustrated should have just ignored the update.I wonder whether the ios6 is working with iphone3GS?
Any one can help.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
My iphone 3GS was using ios5.1.1 and did not have issues till i was ask to download ios6.After doing so i'm stuck in the activation screen and that my sim card is not compatible.I'm not able to restore it back when i plug into itunes as the update /restore button is not there anymore in the summary page.I tried using other sim card but return with the same message.i tried switching it off but having the same issue.i have search the net for answer but none seems to be able to help me.**** frustrated should have just ignored the update.I wonder whether the ios6 is working with iphone3GS?
Any one can help.
I have upgraded an iPhone 3GS to iOS 6 yesterday and I know of two colleagues who have done so recently, all without issue. The incompatible SIM card sounds like you have an unsupported carrier's SIM card in the handset and the handset has not been unlocked. By default iPhones bought from carriers are normally locked to that particular carrier. It is possible to get the carrier to unlock the handset in which case the unlock is permanent, or if the handset it suitable for jail breaking then a temporary software based unlock/activation can be done instead. When I say temporary I mean that because it is software based it will only last until the next software update or restore (e.g. Upgrading from 5.1.1 to 6 etc).

Take a look at http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ and see if you can get it unlocked or hacktivated through RedSn0w and friends.

Alec

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.