Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1
emdotdee
macrumors regular

Organising and Editing

I've just got myself a Contour Roam2 camera for filming my exploits on my motorbike.

I'm just wondering what you recommend in terms of organising the files from the camera before editing?

The first few times I plugged the camera in I imported the videos into iPhoto which worked fine (I wasn't planning on editing them yet as they where just tester videos)

When I found something that I wanted to edit I opened up iMovie and looked in the 'iPhoto Videos' section, at this point it told me that it needed to do something to the files so that they would work properly. (Something to do with thumbnails I think?)
Since then any files I have imported to iPhoto are not showing up in iMovie and I cant figure out how to get them there either.
It all seems a bit clunky and I don't know the best way to organise my files.

I've tried importing straight into iMovie but it takes forever so I think it might better only doing that when I know there is definitely something on the camera that I want to use.

Any suggestions on best ways to organise my stuff with the quickest way to access it in iMovie?
What do you guys do with your files?

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:44 AM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Right, what version of iMovie???????????
Step one... what do you want to make a slide show or video?
Open iMovie..... open New Event......Get your photos on your iMovie Event and before pressing import select which ones you want..... then press import.
If you go to YouTube you will find wealth of information video style of what you are seeking.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:00 PM   #3
emdotdee
macrumors regular

I'm using iMovie 11.
I want to make a video but it seems easier to import all my videos into iPhoto first as it's quicker and I only plan on editing and uploading when I know something interesting has happened.

The first time I opened iMovie it automatically found the videos and generated the thumbnails but then it didn't repeat the process even after I had added new videos into iPhoto so I was a bit confused, seems to have figured itself out now though.

I think I was looking in the wrong place when I tried to import them manually too, I'm sure I'll get my head around it. It's been a long time since I did any video editing.

I'll definitely check out youtube for tutorials.
Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
open New Event
iMovie uses Projects, not Events. To get photos into an iMovie Project, just click on the photo button in iMovie, and then drag and drop the photos that you want into the Project.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Ifti
macrumors 65816

I use a GoPro.
I simply remove the card and insert it into my MacBook. I then open FCPX and import the movie clips directly from the card - I did the same when I used to use imovie. When you import them it will create a new event, which will contain all of your video footage. You then create a project to actually edit the clips onto the timeline.
To this day, I've never used iPhoto for any video clips whatsoever.
iPhone 6+ / TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video