Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:21 PM   #101
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

Have three Hackintoshes which are all happy with 10.8.2; would have four if not for one stubborn PC.

For a while after Apple introduced "full screen apps" in Lion, I was really disappointed that they didn't offer a touch experience instead. After having used Windows 8 for the past 3 months, I know I was very wrong.

Full screen apps in 10.8 > awkward Windows 8 dual OS
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:22 PM   #102
Mattjeff
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Mattjeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asclepio View Post
snow leopard still the best
Hell ya!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:25 PM   #103
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
Not a fan of this yearly desktop OS update. Devs are taking long to update their apps for the latest OS; by the time they do update, Apple announces a beta of the next version of OS X. (I'm not blaming Devs - I can't imagine them wanting to support multiple OSes within such a short timeframe)

I'm not saying pull a oldschool Microsoft and go 5 years between releases, but a 18-24 month schedule seems easier on consumers and Devs.
Microsoft also announced annual OS upgrades. Time for the dev's to move fast or let someone else come up with a better app.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:25 PM   #104
bushido
macrumors 601

must be using it wrong i guess, never had any issues with lion nor mountain lion
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:25 PM   #105
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
But 30% of all Macs would equal ~2% of all PCs. I guess this is great news and all but it is still being curb stomped by Windows Vista (5.67%). In fact, 10.6-10.8 combined just barely beat out the much maligned version of Windows.

Apple is generally a mobile company now. They may release new Macs from time to time, but I think they've either surrendered the desktop market or decided to no longer invest heavily in it. Apple needs to just continue to focus on their strengths lest Microsoft actually makes a move in the tablet space.
There are more devices running OSX in the wild than at any time in the entire history of apple. Apple's share of the PC (desktop and laptop) market continues to grow, year after year after year. The growth of iOS and iDevices has been astronomical, so it's ridiculous to compare the two.

Just because iOS has been unbelievable successful doesn't mean OSX is failing. OSX is surging, just not as fast as iOS.
Spungoflex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:26 PM   #106
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor-don View Post
Good to know about AppleWorks. Thanks.

How does Safari perform on 10.6.8? On 10.5.8, after visiting news sites that have a lot of flash video, Safari crashes. Is it any better in 10.6.8?
Never had a problem with safari on 10.6.8, Although Omniweb is my browser of choice.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:26 PM   #107
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asclepio View Post
snow leopard still the best
That will always be subjective because IMO ML is the best version of Mac OS since when I started back on Mac OS 8.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:32 PM   #108
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungoflex View Post
There are more devices running OSX in the wild than at any time in the entire history of apple. Apple's share of the PC (desktop and laptop) market continues to grow, year after year after year. The growth of iOS and iDevices has been astronomical, so it's ridiculous to compare the two.

Just because iOS has been unbelievable successful doesn't mean OSX is failing. OSX is surging, just not as fast as iOS.
But that isn't true. In the link I provided in my post, we actually saw a month-to-month drop for Mac OS during the heart of the Christmas buying season. Even if the drop was slight, that is hardly "surging".
bobsentell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:32 PM   #109
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post
It's still by far the most stable and compatible OS X release (despite the trouble with App Store versions of iLife/iWork, which cannot be installed on Snow Leopard).
I thought that was just happening to me! Thanks for posting that
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:35 PM   #110
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilfools View Post
I was not aware I could do that. Thank you for the tip! very appreciated!
trying it now...
Got into a heated discussion about select members here correcting people when misinformation is posted.....now I understand why they do.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:36 PM   #111
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
1. 10.8 is selling well as it's currently sold on all new Mac's. Mac's are at an all time high in sales.

2. Snow Leopard 10.6 is still doing well, and is now used more than 10.7. A lot of Mac users do not like 10.7 or 10.8 for reasons many know.

3. Snow Leopard was the biggest Mac OS when it was released, and so was Leopard, Tiger, etc.

A 3 1/2 year old OS X release is still used strongly after two major OS releases. This is interesting as all new systems are sold with current OS's, and Mac sales are stronger than ever, yet Snow Leopard is being used more than Lion and just a tad below Mountain Lion. Apparently some users must be installing Snow Leopard over their new systems with their DVD's or disc images. That says more about 10.7/8 than anything.
Well how many years did Windows XP remain the dominant Windows OS even after newer versions came out? Personally on the Windows side I still like Windows 7 better then Windows 8 at least on the desktop and laptop.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:37 PM   #112
Macrolido
macrumors regular

I upgraded my MacBook to 10.8 but I still think that Snow Leopard is the best OS X version ever.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:38 PM   #113
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
The thing is though. They really havent done any innovation on the OS. Look at the feature lists. It's all full over overhyped eye candy. Sure there have been improvements, but not anything major.

The top 'Features' Apple lists for Mountain Lion over Lion are:

- iCloud integration
- A reminders app
- A notes app
- iMessage (basically rebranding of iChat
- Facetime (as above)
- Notification Center (perhaps the most overhyped pile of junk)
- Facebook integration (big friggin' deal!)
- Game center (cant comment - never even opened it)
- Gatekeeper (which 99% of people disabled)
- Airplay (Useful, but could have been put into a minor update - airplay is a very, VERY small package)
- Twitter
- Dictation (cant comment)
- Powernap

If you pull out the real features, you've got 2, maybe 3 'real' features there. The rest is just 'padding'.
Did you or do you have any new ideas in terms of feature set that you would like to share with us that would greatly benefit many of us or did you just want to point out what they aren't doing?
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:41 PM   #114
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

If it wasn't for Apple forcing iOS developers to upgrade to Mountain Lion, I'd still be running Snow Leopard. The mdworker issues have STILL not been fixed months later, and overall ML is less stable on my Mac Pro. Logic Pro also has a lot of wonky display issues on ML. I have no use for social networking features built into the system, and the iCloud syncing is very dodgy. I think there's a couple nice features in ML, but overall I'd gladly go back to Snow Leopard if I was able.
petsounds is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:05 PM   #115
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Almost a year into ML, and messages is still out of order, SMB is clunky, blah blah. It may be the most popular (only by force) but it is FAR from their best. SL FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
I think these numbers show just how great Snow Leopard is, being that Apple works hard to force our hands to adopt the latest from them.
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user". Tim Cook

Blame iOS-sification. OSX and iOS are two different animals, that are best kept separate. Here's where convergence is not desirable. What's intuitive on a phone or a tablet, is not necessarily so on a desktop. We're definitely not getting the best of both worlds. Although ML has some (very) useful features, I too will stick with Snow Leopard for now!
macs4nw is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:15 PM   #116
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user". Tim Cook

Blame iOS-sification. OSX and iOS are two different animals, that are best kept separate. Here's where convergence is not desirable. What's intuitive on a phone or a tablet, is not necessarily so on a desktop. We're definitely not getting the best of both worlds. Although ML has some (very) useful features, I too will stick with Snow Leopard for now!
In my opinion messages is the only useful feature that ML introduced... Even though it is actually a Lion feature, but Apple canned the Beta to force everyone that wanted messages onto ML. And messages doesn’t even NEED to be an OS feature. It’s an app. Why not just have it for sale on the Mac App Store for a dollar?
mrsir2009 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:17 PM   #117
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
I like Mountain Lion in theory but it's giving me Wi-if headaches and iMessages are all out of order for some reason. I'd like to see Apple really focus on consistency and quality control for their next release.
I have both of those problems, and they are very annoying, especially the wifi. It's well past time apple fixed them. I'd consider going back to SL if it supported iCloud.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:26 PM   #118
z3r0
macrumors member

Snow Leopard is the latest Mac OS sans the iOS crapification
z3r0 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:32 PM   #119
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
i'm happy so far with mountain lion. i especially like the new graphic drivers for nvidia cards for the mac pro - allowing any pc card to work
If it wasn't for those drivers I wouldn't be tempted to make the jump to ML.
InuNacho is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:33 PM   #120
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I do not see a reason to upgrade from Snow Leopard besides Apple dropping the usual security support.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:34 PM   #121
Haswell
macrumors member

I am still on Snow Leopard, and that's that way it's staying.
Haswell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:37 PM   #122
Cavalier777
macrumors member

SL still the best. The only decent one left
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:38 PM   #123
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
Not a fan of this yearly desktop OS update. Devs are taking long to update their apps for the latest OS; by the time they do update, Apple announces a beta of the next version of OS X. (I'm not blaming Devs - I can't imagine them wanting to support multiple OSes within such a short timeframe)

I'm not saying pull a oldschool Microsoft and go 5 years between releases, but a 18-24 month schedule seems easier on consumers and Devs.
Neither am I. I have a feeling my Core 2 Duo won't be making the cut for the next version of OS X.

OS 10.9 Requirements:
Intel Core i3 Processor or later.

I would add Hyperthreading to the list, but Core i5 are still supported and don't have it.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:39 PM   #124
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Microsoft also announced annual OS upgrades. Time for the dev's to move fast or let someone else come up with a better app.
I know they did - hence my "oldschool Microsoft" in my original post.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:40 PM   #125
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelltech View Post
LOL Lion is now less popular than Snow Leopard despite being newer. Kind of like the relationship between Windows Vista and XP.
It's because the Lion users went to Mountain Lion since they've already committed to using the OS that doesn't support Rosetta or older Macs.

I'd update past SL if the newer ones had @#$%ing Rosetta.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion