Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikkilh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Hi

I recently bought the 15" MacBook Pro with retina screen. I had a MacBook about 6 years ago but I know they have changed somewhat and I really only know the basics.

Anyway...in those 6 years I had built a collection of the Microsoft versions of Adobe Cs2, Macromedia 8 and Project 2010. These are the three packages I ideally want to get on to the new mac so I don't have to buy the mac versions. Before you ask, all of these programmes do actually work on my current PC running windows 7. I am open to suggestions having looked at VMWare I have downloaded a trial version and will upgrade this if it turns out to be the best option.

I also looked at partitioning the hard drive and allowing about a 3rd for windows 7. The problem I have with the later option is that it seems you have to have the full licence for windows 7 and not the upgrade from XP and I can't fathom out how to get round this. Is there a way to take the full working Windows 7 from my PC and install on a DVD and load using Bootcamp?

My first option was to do the virtualisation option with VMware but as the mac doesn't have an ethernet socket this means buying the adapter but I want to know if this is actually a better option than the partitioning or not so that I can tell if its worth buying for this one occasion. I looked at doing it over the network and said it would take 156 hours....so I cancelled it!! If I did it via the cable what sort of time would I be looking at for this option?

I have a DVD writer and external drive for the mac and pc use.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated but ideally in list, stage by stage processes would be really handy.

Many thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.