Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Voodo
macrumors newbie

New guy, with a few questions...

Hi guys although i have had my mac for the best part of three years now, without even thinking about any sort of programming, i will turn 30 this year.

After seeing all the wonderful mac apps that have been created over the years,
I have decided to get into Programming, and to be honest see where it takes me, it might not even be the thing for me, but hey you gotta try at least.

My goal as it is now is to eventualy develop my own app,, something worth the time and effort the fruits of my labour if you will. With maybe a move into game programming after that...

I understand that the hard work will surely come in my first year learning and i will take this one small step at a time..... So in saying that im in two minds wether to start off with Applescript or Python, Eventually moving onto Objective -C and into Cocoa....

Would ye guys sugest Applescript or Python as a first language for a complete Beginner, the only code i ever wrote was a full HTML page along time ago. Thanks for any advice .
Voodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:25 PM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Personally, I'd start with C then move into ObjC once you have the basics.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:17 PM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I'd like to just mention briefly that cocoa is an API, whereas many of the other things (C, Obj-C, Python, and AppleScript) are all languages.

I endorse the free ebook Learn C the Hard Way. Google it. Read it. Do the examples and exercises. Then move onto learning Obj-C.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Voodo
macrumors newbie

Yes as i understand it Cocoa is the application frameworks and core services,, so ye guys think i should just go straight to C,, get to grips with it and move onto Objective-C,, forget about python altogether as a begginer language?
Voodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:07 PM   #5
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

You'll find that people have varying opinions. If you search through the forum, you'll find lots of advice and recommendations.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:22 PM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
Yes as i understand it Cocoa is the application frameworks and core services,, so ye guys think i should just go straight to C,, get to grips with it and move onto Objective-C,, forget about python altogether as a begginer language?
I see little purpose in learning a language you're not planning on using. Obj-C, C++, and Java (indirectly) are all based on C. In fact, all C code is valid Obj-C code, most C code is valid C++ code, and a good deal of C code is also valid Java code.

I will give you that C has some... Difficult to grasp features (pointers) but you'll come to understand them with enough practice... And googling... And asking and answering questions on forums.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7
robvas
macrumors 68000

Play around with all the languages you want.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:24 PM   #8
rien333
macrumors regular

I learned Python before I learned C. I personally really liked it, mostly because Python is such a easy language to learn because of it's more "human language"-like syntax. You get to focus on the important stuff, like understanding loops and such, instead of focusing on other things.
I can also really recommend this book on Python (it is free): http://www.openbookproject.net/think...hon/english2e/

Learn C the hard way seems like good book for learning C.

Good luck!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
DenBeke
macrumors regular

I'd start with Python, an easy language to learn the basics of programming.
DenBeke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming