Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairs1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So after I had my iMac start displaying graphics driver errors it started to develop a whine/white noise/dog whistle type noise. I've got a warranty with a store as there was no Apple in my area at the time (now there is). I've brought it in, and they've run diagnostics on it and as far as they can tell, no issues with anything and they cannot produce the sound.

I'm working in a dead silent room and can hear it upon boot and am wondering if the reason the techs cannot hear it, is due to the other machines running in the background.

It's something that makes me not able to sit in front of the computer for more than 10-15 minutes at a time as the sound is very bothersome.

Since my warranty allows the item to be repaired by authorized techs/manufacturers, I'm debating on bringing the iMac to the Apple Store to have them review the machine but to me, they're even louder than the local shop here - do they have a silent area (tech room?) that they can boot the machine in?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss and unsure what to do. I like the iMac and just wish it didn't have that sound (have tried changing brightness, etc to no avail either).

If this was like this upon purchase, it would have went back to the store, but it just developped over the past few days/weeks after the driver crashes happened and I wiped my windows partition and re-installed via bootcamp. Booting into Mac OS/Windows doesn't matter, the sound is still there.

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.