Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
bunger
macrumors 6502

Best Way to Move from old iMac to New?

My super sweet new 27" iMac is due to arrive next Thursday and will be replacing my mid-2007 iMac. Each OS release has been installed on the 2007 iMac as an upgrade and hasn't been cleanly installed since it was new.

Though I use TimeMachine, I was under the impression that using TM as the migration tool would bring along all of the system files and I wanted to start as clean as possible. So, I had originally set my mind to using the Migration Assistant when the new iMac arrives, which would allow me to have a "clean" system along with all of my apps/files/etc.

BUT... today I was setting up a new iMac for someone, migrating from another iMac that was about 1 year old. Because it had never been upgraded, I decided to the TimeMachine drive. So when initially setting up the iMac, I was prompted for the migration options: from another computer, from another disk, etc. I chose "from another disk," which then presented me with the options expected through migration assistant ( applications, users, etc ). After continuing, I am confident that none of the system files came over from the TM backup.

So... I am not thinking that using my TM backup and the "migrate from another disk" option may be the fastest migration method and still preserve the clean integrity of the new system.

Does anyone know for sure?

tia,
Bill
bunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:43 PM   #2
Boogsephine
macrumors regular

Bill,

From my understanding the Time Machine backs up the relevant user information. I don't think it does an exact clone of the hard drive like Carbon Copy Clone does. I know you can set Time Machine to back up certain folders and set different schedules but again I don't think it clones the hard drive (system settings, etc).

If you use Carbon Copy Clone, you'll be able to move the system files over and have pretty much an identical on your new machine as it was on the old machine.

Since I don't use Time Machine and have only tinkered with it in the past, I could be wrong and I hope someone else chimes in to agree or disagree with me.

Regards,
Adam
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

Carbon Copy would be a no go in users case...as new Imac wouldn't support his older osx version.
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

"[C]lean integrity of the new system"??

Not sure what you're worried about.

Use Migration Assistant from a disk or TM backup that you are sure is good. And do it during the setup process. It'll bring over everything you need. Inevitably you will have to enter some new info, upgrade some stuff, etc, but it's the quickest and most foolproof way to do it.

And yes, many of the system files will NOT come over. Those files are for an older machine. You're getting a new machine with a system already installed on it, fresh from Apple.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Chris Blount
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgendreau View Post
And yes, many of the system files will NOT come over. Those files are for an older machine. You're getting a new machine with a system already installed on it, fresh from Apple.
Correct. The Time Machine backup only brings over your data, settings and apps. Your system will still have a clean install of the OS. No worries.

Last edited by Chris Blount; Jan 6, 2013 at 08:52 AM.
Chris Blount is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:05 AM   #6
iWaiting

my experience with TM is that is does backup all the files system passwords et all

the reason I can is that if you select restore from time machine it does just that the system will be just as you left it evan on to a new HDD/SSD

but as you say that is not the same as using migration assistance

I have done the tm restore many times due to apples beta software
and before you ask yes I am a Dev
iWaiting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:23 AM   #7
bunger
macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of the replies and here is what I have determined:

TM does a full system backup and if a recovery is initiated from the beginning stages of an OS install, it will put the ENTIRE system back in place ( OS, files, etc ).

However, if the OS is already installed but not fully setup, you are prompted with the Setup Assistant, which is just like the Migration Assistant. The Setup Assistant will allow the "migration" of applications, settings, and user files without bringing over OS-level files. This is the option that I want and will work for me.

Thanks for all of the help!
bunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac