Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:31 AM   #1
musharraf
macrumors newbie

Open USB Drive as File using NSWorkplace in Objective-C

I am writing an application in MAC-OS using Objective-C , to read Boot-Sector of USB Drive and just to modify some bytes in it.

I created object of NSWorkspace, but problem is that how can pass USB-Drive Path in openFile methods.

Thanks
musharraf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:41 AM   #2
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Did you mean NSWorkspace ?

http://developer.apple.com/library/m...Reference.html

What have you tried that hasn't worked ? Are you sure this is the class you want for what you want to do ? What exactly are you trying to achieve where you think you need to modify some bytes in the boot sector of a USB flash drive ?

To modify a device at such a level under Unix, you usually require access to the character device special file which will present you the device in "raw" mode. Under OS X, I believe these files will be /dev/rdisk# where # is replaced by the disk number.

NSWorkspace doesn't sound like what you need at all, except maybe to get a list of mounted media using the - (NSArray *)mountedRemovableMedia method. But frankly, this won't give you the DSF for the USB media. openFile doesn't do what you think it does, it basically acts as if you've double clicked a file.

You probably need to look a bit deeper here, the I/O Kit API is probably more in-tune with what you want to do, along with the I/O Registry :

http://developer.apple.com/library/m...Reference.html

Once you have the info for the USB device, just go for standard ANSI C or POSIX stuff to manipulate the bits in the file (fopen()/open(), fseek(), fprintf()/fputc(), fclose()/close()).
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3
musharraf
macrumors newbie

Open USB Drive as File using NSWorkplace in Objective-C

Hi,

In Windows I am using "CreateFile" API to get handle USB DRIVE e.g( H:\\ etc.) and using "DeviceIoControl" to mount and Unmount USB Drive to update its Boot Sector.

This same functionality I want to use in MAC-OS. I can open using ANSI-C functions but Mount/Unmount... how can be.

Thanks
musharraf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:05 AM   #4
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Did you read my second link ? That's a pretty hefty document I pointed to (the I/O kit reference). It should contain everything you need to know. But again I question why you feel the need to even modify the boot sector of a USB drive ?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:33 PM   #5
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Use DiskArbitration framework to get local drives. Then feed the kDADiskDescriptionMediaBSDNameKey of the disk to opendev().

You can also then use DADiskUnmount(), DADiskMount(), and DADiskEject().
kainjow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:17 AM   #6
numero
macrumors member

I did a project like this a few years ago. I ended up reading the /dev/rdisk file. The link below will explain how the data is structured. Open the /dev/rdisk file for reading and march down the bytes.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...re/fatgen.mspx
numero is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming