Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Hoagie5252
macrumors newbie

streaming from external drive

so recently i moved all my media to a external drive and i noticed t takes longer to get anything to start playing from the apple tv. is there any way to speed this up?
Hoagie5252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:55 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie5252 View Post
so recently i moved all my media to a external drive and i noticed t takes longer to get anything to start playing from the apple tv. is there any way to speed this up?
The delay is likely waiting for the drive to spin up. Once it's spinning, there shouldn't be a delay. You probably wouldn't have any noticeable delay with a SSD.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

I noticed it got better from USB to FW800 with mine
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:41 PM   #4
mtondreo
macrumors member

same thing here -I am using USB 2.0 so there is a definite delay. unfortunately I was using too much space on the imac - so I had to move the library. Find it even more irritating when I am trying to access remotely.
mtondreo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Hoagie52
macrumors member

Thanks for the info guys. I'm in USB 2.0 an old Mac. I guess I will have to deal with it or just move my movie files.
Hoagie52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:40 AM   #6
capt601
macrumors member

i have this same issue, however after 20 minutes we give up watching the movie through the apple tv3. watching a movie on my iMac with teh same source, external drive, causes zero delays. think this is an apple tv issue. before the last update i did not have this delay.
capt601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Hoagie52
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt601 View Post
i have this same issue, however after 20 minutes we give up watching the movie through the apple tv3. watching a movie on my iMac with teh same source, external drive, causes zero delays. think this is an apple tv issue. before the last update i did not have this delay.
It's funny two day after I had this problem I tried agin and didn't experience any problems. The movie started within 10 seconds and never buffered.
Hoagie52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:06 PM   #8
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

I am having the same problem, my setup:

Apple Airport Extreme with external HD, Apple Tv JB

When I try to play a file directly from the HD through XBMC it buffers and stops like crazy.

I decided to try the PS3 Media Server connected to Allshare over WIFI on my samsung and it streamed a 20gb MKV 3D 1080P movie without one buffer.

Both TV and Apple TV are hooked to router by ethernet. What I don't get is the PS3 Media server needs to go through an extra step and then uses wifi to connect to the Allshare, so I don't understand why a direct connection like AppleTV to router would basically be useless in this situation.

Anyone know why this is happening?

And just the other day I tried to stream a movie I own in Itunes and it said it would be 38 minutes before it could start and I went to Icefilms on XBMC and it played without a hiccup.
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:29 PM   #9
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

well, you must realize that a usb drive hooked up to an aeb via I presume wireless, then the mac wireless to the atv will cut your bandwidth in half. Cause the move has to be streamed on the network to the mac, then streamed back to the atv. Its not like its a one way connection from the aeb with the usb drive right to the atv. Provided I understand your setup correctly. If not, please disregard the above.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:37 PM   #10
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
well, you must realize that a usb drive hooked up to an aeb via I presume wireless, then the mac wireless to the atv will cut your bandwidth in half. Cause the move has to be streamed on the network to the mac, then streamed back to the atv. Its not like its a one way connection from the aeb with the usb drive right to the atv. Provided I understand your setup correctly. If not, please disregard the above.
The External HD is plugged directly into AE via USB, the AE is connected to AppleTV 2 via Ethernet cable, I don't even need the Mac you can just take that out of the equation with my setup through XBMC since I access my external HD directly from ATV2.

With the PS3 setup I do have to go through the additional step of shooting it over wifi to ATV2 and it still works flawlessly, so I know its not my connection, and I don't understand why the ATV2 can't handle the large files.
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater