Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Facebook, facebook, facebook. Oh how it has become the bane of my life. :eek:

So I have someone who I cannot unfriend (politics, work etc) but I don't want seeing my wall updates and knowing what I am doing.

So I put this person on 'limited' profile to restrict them and then went on holiday and posted a picture on my wall, thinking they couldn't see it because they were now on limited profile. I even checked with the 'view your wall as this person' feature beforehand and everything seemed to be locked down.

Anyway I then got a "like" hit from this person on the photo I posted even though they weren't supposed to be able to see it! :eek::eek:

What is going on? Did I do something wrong? Facebook's privacy settings are so opaque it is ridiculous. They change the layout of everything so frequently that I can never get used to where the settings are because they seem to be different every time I look for them. :mad:

Any one who knows fb really well out there, I could use some help in securing my activities for SURE from this person who I don't want to see any updates from me.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Facebook, facebook, facebook. Oh how it has become the bane of my life. :eek:

So I have someone who I cannot unfriend (politics, work etc) but I don't want seeing my wall updates and knowing what I am doing.

So I put this person on 'limited' profile to restrict them and then went on holiday and posted a picture on my wall, thinking they couldn't see it because they were now on limited profile. I even checked with the 'view your wall as this person' feature beforehand and everything seemed to be locked down.

Anyway I then got a "like" hit from this person on the photo I posted even though they weren't supposed to be able to see it! :eek::eek:

What is going on? Did I do something wrong? Facebook's privacy settings are so opaque it is ridiculous. They change the layout of everything so frequently that I can never get used to where the settings are because they seem to be different every time I look for them. :mad:

Any one who knows fb really well out there, I could use some help in securing my activities for SURE from this person who I don't want to see any updates from me.
When you post there's a settings looking icon, or an icon of two figures. Click it and I think from there it says something look. Show status /photos except from ...

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Next time you post click on the gears below the textbook and hit custom and type there names. They cant see what you post.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
When you post there's a settings looking icon, or an icon of two figures. Click it and I think from there it says something look. Show status /photos except from ...

Thanks.

Frankly it is confusing, although I see that fb have improved the privacy settings tab recently in an attempt to make it clearer.

See the first attachment, if I click on 'custom' under "who can see my stuff" I can exclude certain people from getting my updates. Will this prevent that person from getting anything from me?

I ask because the second attachment seems to suggest that even if I hide posts from my timeline they will still appear in the news feed. Is that my news feed or theirs?! :confused:

Next time you post click on the gears below the textbook and hit custom and type there names. They cant see what you post.

Thanks. Do you have to do this every time or is there a way to always exclude that person?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 2.png
    2.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Thanks.

Frankly it is confusing, although I see that fb have improved the privacy settings tab recently in an attempt to make it clearer.

See the first attachment, if I click on 'custom' under "who can see my stuff" I can exclude certain people from getting my updates. Will this prevent that person from getting anything from me?

I ask because the second attachment seems to suggest that even if I hide posts from my timeline they will still appear in the news feed. Is that my news feed or theirs?! :confused:

Thanks. Do you have to do this every time or is there a way to always exclude that person?

As long as before you post you're still on custom, you'll be okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.