Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Posted by Charlie miller (@0xcharlie) on twitter

"So @planetbeing says he has an iOS 6.0.2 untethered jailbreak. I never said they wouldn't exist, just that they wouldn't be released..."

From planetbeing:
Yeah, I’m not really sure what all the doom and gloom is about. The fact is, I have an untethered iOS 6.0.2 JB running on my iPhone 5 right now. The reasons it’s not released are because 1. releasing it would burn an exploit we want to save for ourselves so we can always get in to look at new firmware and help JB in the future, 2. iOS 6.1 is coming very soon and will likely break a small part of it anyway, there’s no point in sacrificing the many bugs it won’t break.
Anyway, where there are 4+ bugs (that it took to get this to work), there’s gotta be one or two more so while jailbreaking is getting harder, reports of its death are highly exaggerated.
This is not stuff I want to say over Twitter with 140 characters because I’m afraid of starting some sort of riot, but I like the smaller /r/jailbreakcommunity more.

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wait till one of them tells you to updare. Musclenerd said stay at 6.0 so I'm guessing he will say to update to 6.0.2 when the time comes or Planetbeing will. I think it might be a little early yet.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Wait till one of them tells you to updare. Musclenerd said stay at 6.0 so I'm guessing he will say to update to 6.0.2 when the time comes or Planetbeing will. I think it might be a little early yet.

Okay. If apple comes out with 6.1 before hand we can manually download the 6.0.2 ipsw and install right?

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
They once did say that the jailbreak they had needed a dev account, so I would've been surprised if there wasn't a JB.

And yea, 6.1 should be out very soon, so no point in wasting all that hard work for just a couple of days of glory.

I'm already on 6.0.2 because I know it the upgrade had closed the loopholes they used, then they would've released it anyway.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas

I'm already on 6.0.2 because I know it the upgrade had closed the loopholes they used, then they would've released it anyway.

I doubt that, how can apple close loopholes of they don't know what to close? JB devs don't tell others where the exploit is.

----------

Hmm so then with the imminent 6.1 release, a 6.0.2 jailbreak release appears to be unlikely.

The same exploits still might be open on 6.1, how can apple close an exploit they don't know exist.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
The 6.1 betas have been out a very long time.
Common sense says that if the 6.1 firmware broke the exploit(s), they would be shouting loudly to go to 6.0.2 on our iPhone 5's

Since we have heard none of that, no one need rush into updating.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
I doubt that, how can apple close loopholes of they don't know what to close? JB devs don't tell others where the exploit is.

----------

The same exploits still might be open on 6.1, how can apple close an exploit they don't know exist.
They discover it on their own? Just because the JB devs found it first doesn't mean Apple won't find it.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Added a statement from planetbeing to the origianal post.

----------

They discover it on their own? Just because the JB devs found it first doesn't mean Apple won't find it.

Well when the JB devs find it, they are basically pointing it out to apple. That's why they usually wait for a couple of updates to a ios before releasing a JB.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
0xcharlie
Talk about bashing your own predictions

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 11.16.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-04 at 11.16.20 PM.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 239

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
This thread has given me great hope in spite of all the negative hoopla going around. Thanks for the update for guys like me where this is my main source of JB news.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Posted by Charlie miller (@0xcharlie) on twitter

"So @planetbeing says he has an iOS 6.0.2 untethered jailbreak. I never said they wouldn't exist, just that they wouldn't be released..."

From planetbeing:
Yeah, I’m not really sure what all the doom and gloom is about. The fact is, I have an untethered iOS 6.0.2 JB running on my iPhone 5 right now. The reasons it’s not released are because 1. releasing it would burn an exploit we want to save for ourselves so we can always get in to look at new firmware and help JB in the future, 2. iOS 6.1 is coming very soon and will likely break a small part of it anyway, there’s no point in sacrificing the many bugs it won’t break.
Anyway, where there are 4+ bugs (that it took to get this to work), there’s gotta be one or two more so while jailbreaking is getting harder, reports of its death are highly exaggerated.
This is not stuff I want to say over Twitter with 140 characters because I’m afraid of starting some sort of riot, but I like the smaller /r/jailbreakcommunity more.

Thank goodness! I've been waiting for this for forever! :D

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Wop wop
Excited more for a possibility of an aTV3 jb (my aTV is ready for it!). My 4S will definitely benefit from a jb, but so far it has not been the end to the world on iOS6 just a little uncomfortable than what I'm used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.