Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:31 PM   #26
latormenta
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I can't believe people are willing to put up with that crap for "unlimited data"

info?
latormenta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:22 AM   #27
canwe3
macrumors member

Quote:
I can't believe people are willing to put up with that crap for "unlimited data"

OMG...... is that real? That's like 3times faster than my home internet. Which network is this? This is the future!
canwe3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:09 AM   #28
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by latormenta View Post
info?
at&t lte.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by canwe3 View Post
OMG...... is that real? That's like 3times faster than my home internet. Which network is this? This is the future!
All on AT&T LTE. I get 40+ regularly here in Boston. Sprint's 3G is useless here in the city and they still dont have LTE. Whereas I'm getting ridiculous speeds withAT&T
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:12 AM   #29
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
no LTE in my area. This is what I got for 3 bars 3g network on sprint. Screw unlimited data. I rather have fast and limited data. how do I direct upload my image pic?
download 0.04MBPS 0.06MBPS upload 1853ms
download 0.11MBPS 0.00MBPS upload 240ms
download 0.04MBPS 0.22MBPS upload 290ms

It's so slow that websites don't load. I renewed 2yr contact when I upgraded to iphone5. Anyone else dealing with this frustration?
Yeah that's Sprint speeds.

I left them for t mobile.

With t mobile while I get faster speed than Sprint 3g (even on edge) the problem is FINDING A SIGNAL and dropped calls.

T mobile drops more calls than metro pos
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:29 AM   #30
SONiC5
macrumors regular

Quote:
at&t lte.

----------

All on AT&T LTE. I get 40+ regularly here in Boston. Sprint's 3G is useless here in the city and they still dont have LTE. Whereas I'm getting ridiculous speeds withAT&T
Sprint has LTE in Boston.
SONiC5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:51 AM   #31
TOOFY
macrumors regular

I just switched back to ATT from Sprint after 2 months of terrible data speeds. Learned my lesson.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:12 AM   #32
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONiC5 View Post
Sprint has LTE in Boston.
Not officially no. It's not done yet. It's there in parts of the city, but it's no where near as fast or reliable as ATT/VZW

They've announced Peabody, MA, a suburb about 20 minutes to the north. That was apart of the AT&T initial Boston rollout over a year ago.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:44 AM   #33
canwe3
macrumors member

Are you ****ing kidding me! So the reason I stayed with sprint was cause I thought I was saving at least $20-$30 a month. I just checked AT&T wireless plan and turns out I'm only saving $10 month. I'm saving $10 freaking dollars to NOT use my service. I renewed my contract when I got iphone5. Do you think sprint will let me cancel my service without the termination fee?

I should have freaking checked the AT&T wireless plan before upgrading my phone. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID ME!
canwe3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #34
Tallguy93
macrumors member

I am in Houston and unlimited LTE is an amazing deal with sprint. With my company discount, I only pay 71.xx per month including tax. I get pretty consistent LTE (not everywhere but I have coverage 85% of the time. I expect it to get better with time). I average about 4-5 gigabytes per month but coming from tmobile EDGE, I used 13 gigabytes my first month because the speeds were such an improvement lol.

Yeah their 3G network isn't great (still usable for GPS and Internet), but if you're in one of their LTE cities then they have the best deal out of all the carriers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	388556  
Tallguy93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:00 AM   #35
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Lte

My town doesn't have the LTE rollout done yet but 3g speeds are rising as backhaul improvements are coming in place.

Nearby in Jordan, Eden Prairie, the lowertown area of St. Paul, and other areas there's LTE:

Right now Sprint is in the middle of their "network vision" rollout which is going to be a very huge project taking place all thru this year and into the next.

They are literally replacing all of their cellular tower hardware and upgrading their backhaul. Locally LTE isn't 100% but even their 3G speeds are coming up. I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota if you didn't already know. Some parts of the Twin Cities are running on LTE, some not.

Right now they've only upgraded something like 5000 towers but they need to upgrade MANY more towers, upwards of 40,000.

First of all, look at http://www.s4gru.com/ which is a website which is tracking the rollouts and where.

Second of all look at http://www.sensorly.com/ and plug in your zip code to see where you are. That's a crowdsourced solution to find out if you have 4G/LTE in your area and what's happening with it (Sensorly covers all carriers, not just Sprint).

Good luck!

Last edited by aliensporebomb; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
aliensporebomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:15 AM   #36
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

I can also attest that the 3G speeds in philly have improved. waiting for LTE..
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:16 AM   #37
Dr Sam Beckett
Banned

i love how every sprint data speed thread turns into a pissing contest by other users with lte/hspa+
Dr Sam Beckett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:17 AM   #38
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shehrammajid View Post
I am in Houston and unlimited LTE is an amazing deal with sprint. With my company discount, I only pay 71.xx per month including tax. I get pretty consistent LTE (not everywhere but I have coverage 85% of the time. I expect it to get better with time). I average about 4-5 gigabytes per month but coming from tmobile EDGE, I used 13 gigabytes my first month because the speeds were such an improvement lol.

Yeah their 3G network isn't great (still usable for GPS and Internet), but if you're in one of their LTE cities then they have the best deal out of all the carriers.
That's what it comes down to for me too. My company gives me a discount but since I use my phone for work we have to keep our reimbursements to under $100 and my AT&T service was rapidly getting more and more expensive. Sprint is less expensive and ultimately still works even though there's a little pain not having LTE completely widespread here in town yet.
Once it is though it will be a good deal for me.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:37 AM   #39
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sam Beckett View Post
i love how every sprint data speed thread turns into a pissing contest by other users with lte/hspa+
As it should be. No excuse for Sprint to be running such a poor network. And no NV doesn't count. Why should people have to wait for the network to get fixed, while paying for it? Sprint is far behind. The Boston market has been delayed for a while now. My company just dumped our 100+ Sprint MiFis for 50/50 AT&T/VZW because service is incredibly spotty and both of the big boys have 100% LTE around here. I lucked out with the new touchscreen AT&T one.

----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
That's what it comes down to for me too. My company gives me a discount but since I use my phone for work we have to keep our reimbursements to under $100 and my AT&T service was rapidly getting more and more expensive. Sprint is less expensive and ultimately still works even though there's a little pain not having LTE completely widespread here in town yet.
Once it is though it will be a good deal for me.
I don't understand this. I've had AT&T for over 10 years. It doesn't just "get more expensive." It gets more expensive as you move up in plans or add more data.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shehrammajid View Post
I am in Houston and unlimited LTE is an amazing deal with sprint. With my company discount, I only pay 71.xx per month including tax. I get pretty consistent LTE (not everywhere but I have coverage 85% of the time.
That's ridiculous because AT&T/VZW have 100% LTE in the city and have moved outwards also, yet Sprint can't get it done in the city itself?

Thumb resize.

----------

Quote:
Are you ****ing kidding me! So the reason I stayed with sprint was cause I thought I was saving at least $20-$30 a month. I just checked AT&T wireless plan and turns out I'm only saving $10 month. I'm saving $10 freaking dollars to NOT use my service. I renewed my contract when I got iphone5. Do you think sprint will let me cancel my service without the termination fee?

I should have freaking checked the AT&T wireless plan before upgrading my phone. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID ME!
If you're within the return period, yes, you can leave. If not, there are other ways to get Sprint to let you go. I think forcing your phone to roam on VZW and wasting data does that.

Last edited by Nermal; Jan 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: timg
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:45 AM   #40
Dr Sam Beckett
Banned

Quote:
As it should be. No excuse for Sprint to be running such a poor network. And no NV doesn't count. Why should people have to wait for the network to get fixed, while paying for it? Sprint is far behind. The Boston market has been delayed for a while now. My company just dumped our 100+ Sprint MiFis for 50/50 AT&T/VZW because service is incredibly spotty and both of the big boys have 100% LTE around here. I lucked out with the new touchscreen AT&T one.
... and what does people bragging about the already known speeds on a thread asking about sprint speeds have to do with that?
Dr Sam Beckett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:44 PM   #41
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Exclamation

Quote:

----------

[/COLOR]
I don't understand this. I've had AT&T for over 10 years. It doesn't just "get more expensive." It gets more expensive as you move up in plans or add more data.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------
It does if you're asked to work at home more to save on gas reimbursement and you need to make more and more calls via telephone. I was just under our corporate limit. I probably could have waited a couple of months to make it worthwhile but AT&T was being unworkable in other areas not relating to cost about two months prior to switching.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #42
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Exclamation Interesting

Interestingly, Sensorly shows that Sprint's LTE coverage is more widespread across Minnesota than AT&T's LTE coverage is. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.sensorly.com/
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:21 PM   #43
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502

Top is the most recent with full bars
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	5
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	388599  
Knockoutjosie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:28 PM   #44
jetlitheone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
It's funny sprint customers are happy barely getting 1mbps while AT&T users get 7-8mbps on hspa+ and over 30-40mbps on LTE
And verizon customers with crazy fast LTE speeds in most places
But, their sprint 1mb feels a lot faster than everything else out there

I only get 35 megs with verizon lol I love it.
jetlitheone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:09 PM   #45
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Interestingly, Sensorly shows that Sprint's LTE coverage is more widespread across Minnesota than AT&T's LTE coverage is. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.sensorly.com/
The only people that actually use Sensorly are Sprint folks on that s4guru website. No one, even on Howardforums, refers to that site, except people on Sprint.

I've been on that site for almost 10 years. VZW and AT&T people don't use that app.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlitheone View Post
I only get 35 megs with verizon lol I love it.
still faster than Sprint
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:13 AM   #46
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Exclamation

Quote:
The only people that actually use Sensorly are Sprint folks on that s4guru website. No one, even on Howardforums, refers to that site, except people on Sprint.

I've been on that site for almost 10 years. VZW and AT&T people don't use that app.

----------

still faster than Sprint
Maybe they should. Prove your supremacy!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:15 AM   #47
1080p
macrumors 68000

AT&T in Phoenix...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	7
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	388742  
1080p is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:11 AM   #48
corys00
macrumors member

Quote:

----------

If you're within the return period, yes, you can leave. If not, there are other ways to get Sprint to let you go. I think forcing your phone to roam on VZW and wasting data does that.
You know, for all the Sprint bashing you do, you seem to forget the past.

AT&T's coverage, specifically data was so bad at one time Verizon made fun of them in commercials.

This CNet article highlights some complaints and it's about 3 years old.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10410869-266.html

So yes, congrats, you have LTE and woohoo and all that but don't act like the company you love to cheerlead all over the internet has no history with this exact same issue.

Just for curiosity sake, how many LTE covered POPs does AT&T have and how many does Sprint have?
corys00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:41 AM   #49
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by corys00 View Post
You know, for all the Sprint bashing you do, you seem to forget the past.

AT&T's coverage, specifically data was so bad at one time Verizon made fun of them in commercials.
I never had any of those "issues" and all of those issues are long gone. Let's also not forget the fact that AT&T, even then, had the largest # of smartphones on their network, and even now, handle significantly more traffic than anyone else.

Sprint had YEARS to build their network and learn from AT&T, but did they? Nope.
Quote:
So yes, congrats, you have LTE and woohoo and all that but don't act like the company you love to cheerlead all over the internet has no history with this exact same issue.
Except AT&T fixed it. Sprint still hasn't. The Sprint "fix" here in Boston has been delayed until Fall, when it should be done. By the time, it's done in my area, VZW/AT&T would have had LTE for almost two years and LTE-A is around the corner.

Quote:
Just for curiosity sake, how many LTE covered POPs does AT&T have and how many does Sprint have?
Sprint isn't even close to AT&T. 125 to 29 cities back in December. (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413363,00.asp) They still don't even have NYC or Boston. They're wasting their time building into useless suburbs (like Peabody, MA), while ignoring Boston itself (where their network doesn't work). The initial Boston LTE rollout for AT&T covered basically the entire East of the state. And goes from the NH/MA border down to Providence. Sprint? Not even close.

Let's not act like Sprint is so superior. They cater to a lower class and provide cheaper (that doesn't mean superior) service. There's a reason why VZW/ATT are the largest. People aren't leaving them for a reason. If Sprint was so awesome, there would be a mass exodus of folk dumping ATT/VZW, but that isn't the case.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #50
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
AT&T/VZW have 100% LTE in the city and have moved outwards also, yet Sprint can't get it done in the city itself?
That's the problem: There are a limited number of available cell sites in any city, especially its urban core. LTE doesn't replace what the operators already have at those sites; it's a whole 'nother set of gear.

Many sites are maxed out in terms of the number of antennas and even cables that they can handle. If AT&T and VZW upgraded a particular site first, it's possible that there's now no more room for Sprint to add its LTE gear, so it has to look for another nearby. If it's not available, it can take several months to get the zoning and build it. Now multiply that problem by dozens of sites in just an urban core in just one city.

On top of everything, LTE is a brand-new technology, so Sprint and its vendors have a learning curve. They can't just pop in transceivers, install antennas and call it good. It's a lot of tweaking.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone