Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:01 PM   #1
rittchard
macrumors 6502

Late 2012 iMac - clicking/static sound?

Has anyone else noticed a really subtle/light clicking or static-type of sound coming from their iMac? I've pretty much ruled out everything (external drives, speakers, etc) but the unit itself. It's not really that loud, but if there are no other sounds I'll hear it occasionally and it is kind of bothersome.
rittchard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:24 PM   #2
nagareru
macrumors regular

Yes I hear it too, I have no idea what is it though. But it isnt as annoying as the sound i get when the street lights go on. They kind of pollute my power system and my imac starts to make this buzzing sound, it isnt really loud but it is loud enough to be annoying.. I cannot really blame apple coz it doesnt matter if i get a replacement, it will still make a noise because of my dirty power. From what I've read it is not really harmful for the computer, it is just annoying.

The sound comes from the bottom left of the computer right? Thats where the PSU is located.
nagareru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:32 PM   #3
shaine83
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

I have the same annoying static sound, it alternates from the bottom left and sometimes right corners and is more noticeable when I put the display to sleep or wake up. I phoned apple and received a replacement only to get the exact same noise.
shaine83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4
shiny-blanket
macrumors member

I've had this on my original and replacement. Definitely caused by the display brightness change.
shiny-blanket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:21 PM   #5
NVRENUF!
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to NVRENUF!
Guy with street light problem I would ASAP get a UPS,
To filter the power and protect from surge and Brown outs ..

before something happens !!!

If you get a UPS this should stop this issue from happening .

I Can't imagine it's good for the computer
NVRENUF! is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:47 PM   #6
myuserid08
macrumors 6502

I've got the same thing, probably something warming up - wouldn't worry about it.
myuserid08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:43 PM   #7
AngelGuy7
macrumors regular

I have the same thing on my replacement. My original unit did not have this issue but was plagued by a yellow and unevenly lit screen.

I notice that it's more apparent when the screen brightness is low but it still happens when it's almost all the way up. I'm returning my replacement because of this and because the screen is also having an issue with image retention.

I wouldn't just accept it as normal. Considering that my original unit did not have this issue I'm pretty sure that it's not suppose to happen.
AngelGuy7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:34 PM   #8
hemaphore
macrumors newbie

same static issue

I just got a Late 2012 iMac, fully loaded, and have the same issue when the display brightness changes: Left-Right alternating static "ticks". i tried 3 different surge protectors and same issue happens with all 3.

very unnerving because i wonder if there are any components that are slowly getting damaged as a result? good thing i got applecare!
hemaphore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Apple Techs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRENUF! View Post
Guy with street light problem I would ASAP get a UPS,
To filter the power and protect from surge and Brown outs ..

before something happens !!!

If you get a UPS this should stop this issue from happening .

I Can't imagine it's good for the computer
For real had a customer with a blown power supply in there 27" iMac because of that
Apple Techs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:50 PM   #10
large farva
macrumors regular

All the times I've heard people refer to a humming, static of buzzing sound, especially when they've ruled everything out, it winds up that they either had dirty power, or they were running a Back-UPS unit that wasn't compatible with Active PFC power suplies. With PFC power supplies, like the iMac has, you absolutely must run a Pure Sine Wave Back-UPS unit. Or else you'll get that humming. Also, most of the units, like the one I use, the CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD, have an AVR feature, that conditions, and regulates the power voltage without using the battery, which takes care of brownouts and such. You'd be surprised how much stuff can affect your home's power. In my house, if I turn on my laser printer or space heater in the same room, on my Back-UPS unit, I notice the input voltage drop quite a bit. Sometimes to the point where the Back-UPS unit would kick in for a second.
large farva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:03 PM   #11
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by large farva View Post
All the times I've heard people refer to a humming, static of buzzing sound, especially when they've ruled everything out, it winds up that they either had dirty power, or they were running a Back-UPS unit that wasn't compatible with Active PFC power suplies. With PFC power supplies, like the iMac has, you absolutely must run a Pure Sine Wave Back-UPS unit. Or else you'll get that humming. Also, most of the units, like the one I use, the CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD, have an AVR feature, that conditions, and regulates the power voltage without using the battery, which takes care of brownouts and such. You'd be surprised how much stuff can affect your home's power. In my house, if I turn on my laser printer or space heater in the same room, on my Back-UPS unit, I notice the input voltage drop quite a bit. Sometimes to the point where the Back-UPS unit would kick in for a second.
I'm not running a pure sine wave UPS and have never had an issue like this... I don't think you can blame the UPS in every case. Perhaps some cases, but you absolutely don't need a pure sine wave UPS.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:20 AM   #12
dappleapple
macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Noticed it on my new 27inch imac (late 2012), sent it back and have same issue with the replacement. Not impressed for such an expensive computer
dappleapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:52 AM   #13
seh1975
macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed the ticking starts if you dim the screen down to about 4 bars or less? I have this same issue on my late 2012 model 27" with the 1tb fusion and if I brighten the screen the sound stops.

Discussed with AppleCare and they hadn't heard of this. Took it into the Apple shop and they cannot hear the issue when they dim the screen. They could only hear the fan and hard disk. They waited till the shop was closed then listened to it in a quiet room.

As I didn't notice the issue for about 3 months (can't remember if I must have had the screen brighter) I'm told multiple times they would want to repair first, however they can't hear the issue so told me to come and collect it.
seh1975 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 05:01 AM   #14
eattherich
macrumors 6502

As mentioned earlier in the other thread, I've not heard that strange static noise from the lower left corner for a few weeks now. I imagine it was, as someone mentioned, the tape holding the screen on and after x amount of use it's finally settled. Regardless of what it actually was, it's gone now!
eattherich is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac