Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you change iOS?

• Gut it. Start over.

Votes: 66 21.6%
  • Slight update. Maybe live icons and widgets.

Votes: 186 61.0%
  • Leave it alone. It just works and can stay the same forever.

Votes: 53 17.4%

• Total voters

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Seems most people here agree that the iPhone's OS is stale and needs an update. What do you choose?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I think a slight update is in order. They always do slight updates. You know what iOs is so you either like it or you do not, if you do not then just go with the competition.

I will JB when it comes out, because I like BitesSms, lockinfo, SBSettings and MyWi.

Live icons and widgets are fun but I can live without them.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Its not stale if it works. It works perfectly for me. People are stale if they get bored with perfection.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I think most of this noise comes from spill over in the Android community where needing to root and install custom mods and ROMs is common practice.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I love how iOS works.

Change for the sake of change is not good.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Seems most people here agree that the iPhone's OS is stale and needs an update. What do you choose?

Seems like most people here aren't in agreement at all :)

Some are unhappy and want a more open and Android-like experience
But many are very happy and satisfied

Having used both (I have an iPhone 5 and SGS3) I have to say I prefer iOS

I am not sure what is actually "stale" and what gutting the OS would bring to the table

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I think starting over is impractical. The iPhone and iPad are already doing so well, why would they want to rebuild iOS from the ground-up again? What's more, people are already familiar with the simplicity and ease of use of the current iOS.

Apple redesigning iOS from the ground-up -> 0% chance.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
No need to start over from scratch but frankly, Android/Jelly Bean has finally surpassed iOS in form and function. Apple needs to include a more significant refresh than it has been accustomed to. Adding a few minor features and some useless apps like passbook isn't going to cut it anymore. Apple still has the best hardware and "ecosystem" but the boring grid of static icons is starting to look downright primitive.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Yeah I may be in the minority, but I'm fairly happy with iOS and my 4S despite what I'm seeing in many threads here :p

Lot of the switcher articles (even the Kawasaki one) are N/A to me cuz frankly I don't see smartphones as a power-user device. As I've said before, only with the Win8 Pro (true x86 binaries support) do I even foresee the possibility of actual disruptive movement in this sector. Smartphones/Tablets have their place as leisure devices :p And at the moment, even with a Nexus 7 in hand, I see this discussion as a 'iOS can be improved' not so much as 'iOS needs to be gutted.'

If I wanted JellyBean so bad, I could run out to get a SG3 or a Nexus 4 on TMobile (leaving 6 months on my ATT left). But I have no desire...not even a strong desire to change up. Things are nice, but nowhere near motivation enough that I'm scrambling to buy it :p

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Seems most people here agree that the iPhone's OS is stale and needs an update.

Source for this statement? I don't really expect one, because like "most people here" I think you just made it up.:p

I would like to see either widgets or live tiles in iOS, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with iOS.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel here. What's wrong with the current system? Is there any functional reason to change it or are you just bored?

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Its not stale if it works. It works perfectly for me. People are stale if they get bored with perfection.

They need a update but I don't think a complete gut. Notification center, widgets, more sharing options.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Seems there is no evidence for this.

Source for this statement? I don't really expect one, because like "most people here" I think you just made it up.:p

I would like to see either widgets or live tiles in iOS, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with iOS.

Seems like most people here aren't in agreement at all :)

Some are unhappy and want a more open and Android-like experience
But many are very happy and satisfied

Having used both (I have an iPhone 5 and SGS3) I have to say I prefer iOS

I am not sure what is actually "stale" and what gutting the OS would bring to the table

According to the poll, seems like 'most' people here do agree that iOS needs updating. ;)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Yes, it needs a facelift and to loosen up.

Bingo.

iOS is definitely stale, though not broken in any means. It's so based upon the early iPhone rules that it has forgotten that people know how to work these phones now. The public has been educated and now iOS can take a big boy step and become a bit more complex and efficient to use.

I find iOS to be fairly inefficient in app switching and think Notification Center could be a good place to integrate more basic phone functions for fast access to highly used things (i.e. texting, reminders, alarm clocks, phone calls, Facetime, etc.). Basically anything other than posting to Facebook and tweeting.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
As humans, we are always looking for change. However sometimes we don't appreciate what we have till we go on to the next thing. Apples OS is better than good, it may need a nice update or something new to keep our interest but overall it works well.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The Forstall champ is out, Ive is in, change is inevitable.

I love Skeumorph, goodbye old friend. :(

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
No need to start over from scratch but frankly, Android/Jelly Bean has finally surpassed iOS in form and function. Apple needs to include a more significant refresh than it has been accustomed to. Adding a few minor features and some useless apps like passbook isn't going to cut it anymore. Apple still has the best hardware and "ecosystem" but the boring grid of static icons is starting to look downright primitive.

Just ignore people like this who don't seem to have a clue. Boohoohoo my icons are on a grid! Cry me a river.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
They should do what Google did with android 4.0 vs 2.3. Android 4 was a huge overhaul of literally the entire OS and introduced a beautiful new interface called holo which in my opinion is much better looking than the horrible skin that ios has at the moment with all the baby blue, pinstriping and glossy blue and bubbles. Its looks really tacky and distracting. The other thing that android 4 has is the skinning is pretty much unified across the entire OS. IOS unfortunately has had some core apps updated with new skinning and others remained on the old skins. IOS really needs an android 4.0 level overhaul and needs better multitasking. At a minimum they need to add a swipe gesture instead of the horrible hard to hit red x's to close apps.

screenshot2013010513142.png

Holo-Theme.jpg

compare this.

to this
tumblr_mbfofjPn5l1qctkcl.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.