Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:38 AM   #1
archdelux
macrumors 6502

Automatically unmount external HD after Time Machine backup

Hello,

I've searched online but have been unable to find an adequate solution and was hoping someone could help me.

I want to plug in my computer into my USB dock, automatically mount my external HD, have TimeMachine do its thing automatically (so far, so good), but then immediately after the backup finishes, I want the computer to automatically unmount the HD. This will allow me to close the laptop and go somewhere without having to constantly eject the HD everytime I unplug the computer.

So - what I need is a program / script / etc that will tell the computer to eject the drive as soon as TimeMachine is done backing up.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
archdelux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:27 AM   #2
haushinka
macrumors newbie

i've got the same problem. i tried looking online but found little help. the easiest solution i've seen is to hook up the external drive to a network via your router or desktop and then share the drive to your laptop. somehow, time machine is able to auto-mount/umount when it is backing up to a shared drive but unable to do the same when the drive is connected directly.

if someone else has an elegant solution please post. thanks.
haushinka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:20 AM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604

You can't.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:54 AM   #4
0hy3ah
macrumors newbie

No, from what I've read and know Timemachine is a set it and forget it. It's not very customizable-except to choose what files you DON'T want backed up. Maybe some day someone will develop an app or program for that!
0hy3ah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5
whiteatom
macrumors newbie

I have written a script that just mounts runs and unmounts 15 mins later.. it's the best I can do. It's only been a problem today after the lion upgrade.. more then 15 mins of crap to back up. I'd love to know if there is a way to tell when TimeMachine is done.. I had hoped the terminal would lockup until it was complete.. but the backed-helper exists as soon as Time Machine starts copying files.

Anyway.. here's my Applescript for anyone who wants it (adapted from somewhere on the internet...):
Code:
set myVolumeLabel to "Backup"

tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
	set the allNotificationsList to {"Disk Mounted", "Disk Unmounted", "Disk already mounted"}
	set the enabledNotificationsList to {"Disk Mounted", "Disk Unmounted"}
	register as application "Backup Script" all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications enabledNotificationsList icon of application "Time Machine"
end tell

tell application "Finder"
	set diskDev to do shell script "diskutil list | grep \"" & myVolumeLabel & "\" | grep -o 'disk[1-9]*' "
	if not (disk myVolumeLabel exists) then
		do shell script "diskutil mountDisk " & diskDev
		tell application "GrowlHelperApp" to notify with name "Disk Mounted" title "Backup Drive Mounted" description "The Backup drive has been successfully mounted." application name "Backup Script" icon of application "Time Machine"
	end if
	do shell script "/System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle/Contents/Resources/backupd-helper"
	delay 300
	do shell script "diskutil unmountDisk " & diskDev
	tell application "GrowlHelperApp" to notify with name "Disk Unmounted" title "Disk Unmounted" description "The Backup drive has been successfully unmounted." application name "Backup Script" icon of application "Time Machine"
end tell
whiteatom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6
brennj4
macrumors newbie

2 years later and I am still looking for a solution to this problem. I am constantly forgetting to unmount before I move the computer around. There is no need for it to be mounted all the time. A once a day backup and unmount would be sufficient for me.

Anyone found a solution to this??

Last edited by balamw; Jan 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: clean up
brennj4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help