Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:31 AM   #1
msarway
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to msarway
For those who have the iPad 3 and the mini why keep both?

yesterday i bought the iPad mini because i wanted to see if i can use it as a replacement to the larger iPad 3. i am wondering if some of you who have kept both and why did you keep both.

Whats the benefit of having the mini and the big one.
msarway is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:34 AM   #2
BugBytes
macrumors regular

In my opinion, unless you need to have two different iPads for two different locations, it's not really worth keeping both. This thread may be of use to you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1518796
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:39 AM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I have both (along with an iPhone 5 and a MBA)

I use them for different purposes... all of the devices
Could I combine uses? Of course, but I like have a specific tool for a specific job

I use the Mini for email and as a reader primarily, as well as some IM and texting

I use the larger iPad 3 with a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for meetings, note taking, and for accessing my Google Drive for documents, etc.

There are numerous other uses, but these are some of the differences

Is it necessary to have both? Of course not
Do I enjoy having the best of both? Absolutely
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
msarway
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to msarway
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBytes View Post
In my opinion, unless you need to have two different iPads for two different locations, it's not really worth keeping both. This thread may be of use to you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1518796
Thank you

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post

Could I combine uses? Of course, but I like have a specific tool for a specific job

I use the Mini for email and as a reader primarily, as well as some IM and texting

I use the larger iPad 3 with a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for meetings, note taking, and for accessing my Google Drive for documents, etc.

i have the same set up as you plus in my office i have an iMac.
msarway is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:49 AM   #5
ugcop
macrumors Demi-God

I have both. I use the mini until I run the battery down, then switch to the 3. The mini also goes with me when I leave the house. As soon as mini 2 comes out I will replace the 3 with it and keep two minis.
ugcop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I too kept them both. Mainly because I didn't want to lose the money I invested in my iPad 3 that I purchased just 7 months earlier. I use the Mini most of the time, but do grab the 3 if my mini battery is low. Also, I have family members that use my iPad 3 occasionally. I will likely skip the next update on the Mini and just keep what I have. The Mini travels with me so it gets the most use.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:52 PM   #7
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

Waste of money, get rid of one.
luqtotheman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Tikatika
macrumors 6502

Have both, keeping both.

Mini is used for reading in bed and goes with me whenever I leave the house.

iPad 3 used for everything else. Rarely use my laptop anymore.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. We all have different needs and wants.
Tikatika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:25 PM   #9
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Why not... I've got them both and wouldn't have it any other way.

Why... because they are quite useful
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:24 PM   #10
JoshS
macrumors member

I have both. I use the mini for when I'm out and about and want a light weight web browser and email device. I primarily use the 3 with the Logitech keyboard cover for remote controlling my work pc and note taking or heavy typing.

I have found I use the mini 80% of the time.
JoshS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:39 PM   #11
nehope
macrumors member

I have both and am still deciding whether to keep the iPad 3. I use them for the same kinds of things but really only reach for the bigger one when the mini is charging. The screen resolution on the iPad 3 is noticeably (to me) better than the mini so I am reluctant to let go of it. If the mini ever comes with retina, the iPad 3 is history.
nehope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Mini is the road warrior.

Ipad3 is the home body.
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:20 PM   #13
shoppy
macrumors 6502a

I use both biggest reason is I can use one whilst the other charges. I get to separate my personal and work life the same reason I have two iphone one for personal stuff the other for work.
shoppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #14
psirix
macrumors member

I just picked up a black wifi 32GB mini today. I am already the owner of a 64GB iPad 3 with LTE. Even though I have only been an iPad mini owner for about 6 hours, I do plan to keep both. I found the mini attractive for more mobile use such as using it at work and watching video at the gym. However I love the retina display and still plan to do a majority of my web browsing on the iPad 3. If my plans change I can update my post but since I also love gadgets I'm sure I'll still keep both regardless :-)
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Sodner
macrumors 68000

I had a 3 and got a 16Gb wifi mini to "play with." After several weeks I realized I was only using the Mini and that having 2 iPads was unnecessary. Ended up selling both my 3 and Mini and got a 32Gb LTE Mini as my one and only.
After several more weeks I realize I made the right choice. No regrets here.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:44 PM   #16
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Its redundant, unless your family member also use the device.

Big Ipad still can't replace laptop.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:12 PM   #17
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I have both. I do think having both is a bit redundant, but I can afford to keep both, so I'm keeping them. I take the mini with me when I go out, and when I'm home, I use one or the other, depending on my mood. I really like the iPad 3ís retina screen, and also just the additional screen size is nice. If I had to pick one, I'd definitely go with the 3. And if the 5 is significantly lighter than the 3/4, I might forego the next mini. But for now, the lightness of the mini makes it great to carry outside.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:48 AM   #18
Don Kosak
macrumors 6502a

I have both.

iPad Mini is mostly for consumption, ebook/news reading.

iPad "4" is for content creation / work.

Sometimes I'll use them both at the same time. I'll be reading something on the iPad Mini while taking notes or updating presentations/spreadsheets on the iPad 4.

It depends on what you do, and how you work I guess.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:01 PM   #19
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

because 2 is better than 1
Old Jan 7, 2013, 03:20 PM   #20
aricher
macrumors 68020

Different strokes for different folks. We have 3 iPads in our house:

iPad 2: for son and his friends to play with, loaded strictly with kids games, books, movies and music. He doesn't need or care about having a retina screen but he prefers the larger size to that of the mini.

iPad 4: mine, used daily for work, concept sketching and entertainment. I prefer the larg size and retina display to that of the mini, especially when rocking on artwork, photography, concepting and writing.

iPad mini: wife's, sold her iPad 3 on eBay and bought mini, the lack of retina screen doesn't bother her, she loves the size/weight and portability.

Other than my son's iPad 2 we sell our old iPads/iPhones when new models come out and upgrade to the latest. I love the size/weight of the mini but prefer the larger screen for working on concept art, we'll see how I feel if/when a retina mini is released, I may change my mind.
aricher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:35 PM   #21
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I have a 3 and have toyed around the idea of getting a Mini. I wouldn't sell my 3 if I did get a Mini as I'd get hosed on the resale of it. I got the 3 just back in July and couldn't sell it for even 3/4 the price I bought it. When the Mini/4 were announced the resale of the iPad 3 went out the window.
mpayne2k is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 05:33 PM   #22
chumawumba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post

Omg, that is the exact same stuff i have! (including the mini and 3)
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:14 PM   #23
aricher
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
I have a 3 and have toyed around the idea of getting a Mini. I wouldn't sell my 3 if I did get a Mini as I'd get hosed on the resale of it. I got the 3 just back in July and couldn't sell it for even 3/4 the price I bought it. When the Mini/4 were announced the resale of the iPad 3 went out the window.
Don't be so sure, I sold my 64GB 4G 3 in mid-December on Craigslist for 80% of what I paid for it, I've seen others go on eBay for 70-75% recently on eBay too.
aricher is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad