Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:21 AM   #1
laryenhilllvr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
iMac ordered, now what?

So I placed my order for my very first imac a week ago! Coming from mbps i've been thinking what should i get to go along with it. Obviously an external disc drive is a must, i'm still debating on whether to just order two amazon basics or one superdrive from apple.

I've read that an UPS is important as well. Are there any suggestions, I'd like one at a minimum to run 5-10 minutes allowing me enough time to shut down my computer and definitely one that will autoshut down if i'm not around when the power goes out. On the other hand it would be nice to be able to run it for a like 30-60 minutes if power does go out (i liked the idea of having a mbp because power outages were of little concern when i had an internal battery). Also if it is a must that it not require downloading installation software or anything like that. I'm considering this one, but i'm not sure and i'm working with a budget of $150: http://www.amazon.com/APC-Power-Savi...I30U0ZCKPQVPV6

On anther note I'm also excited to have much better graphics than my 2010 mbp, so i've ordered the movie fantasia (i haven't seen it and i think it would be cool to watch on the new screen). Are there any movies or games that are a must? I should also add that I'm not a huge gamer, but I love the sims 3 so obviously i'm excited to be able to play that on max graphics (hopefully with no lag) and when i get back to the states i think i'll return to wow. Are there any games out there with cool graphics (or are just plain fun to play) that do not require the internet (as I wont have internet running to my computer...oh the joys of deployments lol)...i already made the mistake of buying civilization 5 thinking it didn't require internet only to find out i have to log into steam to register the game.

oh, one last thing. I ordered this ram from amazon for my mid 2012 mbp (which crashed before i even recieved the ram) and i'm wondering if it will work in my imac: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory Modules For Mac CT2C8G3S160BM
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
cloudyo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
If the previous iMacs are any indication the audio quality of the integrated sound card will probably be pretty bad. Meaning: when the sound stops you will hear some static noise for about 2 seconds until the output switches off. The noise is there 100% of the time and it is only drowned out by the music or whatever you are hearing. It's especially annoying if you use decent headphones or low volume since you can make it out pretty clearly.

The solution is an external sound card or an audio interface which plugs into the Mac via USB and uses its own circuitry to create the sound. The best one is the Apogee Duet 2 obviously but pretty much everything you can buy will sound better than the integrated Audio solution the iMac (or any Mac for that matter) offers.
cloudyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
dearlaserworks
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Shore, USA
We've had better results with CyberPower.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CP8...qid=1357409517
dearlaserworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4
laryenhilllvr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyo View Post
If the previous iMacs are any indication the audio quality of the integrated sound card will probably be pretty bad. Meaning: when the sound stops you will hear some static noise for about 2 seconds until the output switches off. The noise is there 100% of the time and it is only drowned out by the music or whatever you are hearing. It's especially annoying if you use decent headphones or low volume since you can make it out pretty clearly.

The solution is an external sound card or an audio interface which plugs into the Mac via USB and uses its own circuitry to create the sound. The best one is the Apogee Duet 2 obviously but pretty much everything you can buy will sound better than the integrated Audio solution the iMac (or any Mac for that matter) offers.
i keep getting mixed reviews on the speakers. i'm thinking of getting a set of external speakers or something down the road. i looked up the apogee 2 and it seems to be very good, except i'm not really sure what it does...so that makes it a bit difficult to justify the price tag. realistically i would prefer something in the 200-40 range although i could always rationalize the cost of those if need be lol.
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
MeFromHere
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Here's a better UPS for less money:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1...rds=cyberpower

CyberPower seems more reliable than APC in my experience. This UPS has more capacity (1000VA vs. 750VA) so you'd get longer runtime when the power fails. I have this UPS and it hasn't given me any trouble.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:23 PM   #6
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
+1 for cyber power above that's the one I use
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:42 PM   #7
cloudyo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
i keep getting mixed reviews on the speakers. i'm thinking of getting a set of external speakers or something down the road. i looked up the apogee 2 and it seems to be very good, except i'm not really sure what it does...so that makes it a bit difficult to justify the price tag. realistically i would prefer something in the 200-40 range although i could always rationalize the cost of those if need be lol.
The Apogee Duet is an audio interface. It can convert analog audio to digital and digital audio to analog. Both in very high quality. You can hook up a microphone or headphones for example. It's primarily meant for semi professional music creation.

If you are not planning on using headphones often you will probably never notice the low audio quality though.
cloudyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:19 PM   #8
laryenhilllvr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
so it seems cyberpower is the top choice. are there any suggestions on offline games or great movies to take advantage of the screen?
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a
 
Johnf1285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
So I placed my order for my very first imac a week ago! Coming from mbps i've been thinking what should i get to go along with it. Obviously an external disc drive is a must, i'm still debating on whether to just order two amazon basics or one superdrive from apple.

I've read that an UPS is important as well. Are there any suggestions, I'd like one at a minimum to run 5-10 minutes allowing me enough time to shut down my computer and definitely one that will autoshut down if i'm not around when the power goes out. On the other hand it would be nice to be able to run it for a like 30-60 minutes if power does go out (i liked the idea of having a mbp because power outages were of little concern when i had an internal battery). Also if it is a must that it not require downloading installation software or anything like that. I'm considering this one, but i'm not sure and i'm working with a budget of $150: http://www.amazon.com/APC-Power-Savi...I30U0ZCKPQVPV6

On anther note I'm also excited to have much better graphics than my 2010 mbp, so i've ordered the movie fantasia (i haven't seen it and i think it would be cool to watch on the new screen). Are there any movies or games that are a must? I should also add that I'm not a huge gamer, but I love the sims 3 so obviously i'm excited to be able to play that on max graphics (hopefully with no lag) and when i get back to the states i think i'll return to wow. Are there any games out there with cool graphics (or are just plain fun to play) that do not require the internet (as I wont have internet running to my computer...oh the joys of deployments lol)...i already made the mistake of buying civilization 5 thinking it didn't require internet only to find out i have to log into steam to register the game.

oh, one last thing. I ordered this ram from amazon for my mid 2012 mbp (which crashed before i even recieved the ram) and i'm wondering if it will work in my imac: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory Modules For Mac CT2C8G3S160BM
I decided to do a UPS this time around. I got this model - http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-W...ywords=apc+700

It has a USB connection to take advantage of the additional power settings available. Mine came through last night. At like 2am the power went out for 10 minutes (pretty rare this time of year in my area). I had left my computer on overnight, so the UPS kicked right in. I have it set to automatically shut down the computer when there is a certain amount of time left on the battery. Plus the little LCD screen is nice.
Johnf1285 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:25 PM   #10
spinstorm
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Back to the speakers - they are good enough but the sounds is hard to get right.

I have boom and I'm yet to find an audio profile that sounds good at everything without changing it all the time.

There's less bass and more treble than the previous iMacs which means music sounds harsh and so does speech. Turning up the bass doesn't reduce the treble either I guess I should reduce the treble...
__________________
US 8GB FW 1.0.2>iUnlock>iPhoneSIMfree>1.1.1>1.1.2>Soft upgrade 1.1.3>1.1.4 using signal.app
UK 16GB FW 1.1.3 OOB>1.1.4>iPlus 1.2 unlocked!
spinstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:23 AM   #11
FFabian
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bochum, Germany
Quote:
I've read that an UPS is important as well.
Why is that? Here where I live there had been exactly one power outage in the whole year (which lasted for 8 min) 2012. Are Blackouts or Brownouts really so common in the US or is there another reason why one would need an UPS? Time Machine has hourly backups if something happens.
FFabian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 07:14 AM   #12
laryenhilllvr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf1285 View Post
I decided to do a UPS this time around. I got this model - http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-W...ywords=apc+700

It has a USB connection to take advantage of the additional power settings available. Mine came through last night. At like 2am the power went out for 10 minutes (pretty rare this time of year in my area). I had left my computer on overnight, so the UPS kicked right in. I have it set to automatically shut down the computer when there is a certain amount of time left on the battery. Plus the little LCD screen is nice.
i went to amazon to read customer reviews of the one i posted because everyone seemed to favor cyberpower more and it seems as if apc doesn't support macs the way cyberpower does. i always hate reading those things because they put so many doubts in my head. hopefully by the time my imac ships i'll have made a decision.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinstorm View Post
Back to the speakers - they are good enough but the sounds is hard to get right.

I have boom and I'm yet to find an audio profile that sounds good at everything without changing it all the time.

There's less bass and more treble than the previous iMacs which means music sounds harsh and so does speech. Turning up the bass doesn't reduce the treble either I guess I should reduce the treble...
ugh, this makes me want to get some external speakers immediately. well, how does the sound compare to the nonretina display mbps...i'm most familiar with those...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFabian View Post
Why is that? Here where I live there had been exactly one power outage in the whole year (which lasted for 8 min) 2012. Are Blackouts or Brownouts really so common in the US or is there another reason why one would need an UPS? Time Machine has hourly backups if something happens.
well where i'm at we tend to have a lot of power outages due to the fact that we are using generator (i'm deployed). however in the states i would still get one because unlike mbp which has an internal battery and is relatively unaffected by power outages, an imac losing power will (from my understanding and i'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will correct me if i'm wrong) crash causing you to potentially lose any unsaved data or it could negatively impact the hardware.
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:18 AM   #13
laryenhilllvr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
anyone know if the ram i mentioned earlier will work? i would rather go ahead and order the appropriate ram if not so hopefully by the time the ram gets to me so will the computer.
__________________
I'm living the iLife, but it's time to upgrade all my products.
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:32 AM   #14
FFabian
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bochum, Germany
I would say yes. To be sure try the Crucial Memory Adviser Tool http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx
FFabian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
...
I've read that an UPS is important as well. Are there any suggestions, I'd like one at a minimum to run 5-10 minutes allowing me enough time to shut down my computer and definitely one that will autoshut down if i'm not around when the power goes out. On the other hand it would be nice to be able to run it for a like 30-60 minutes if power does go out (i liked the idea of having a mbp because power outages were of little concern when i had an internal battery). Also if it is a must that it not require downloading installation software or anything like that. I'm considering this one, but i'm not sure and i'm working with a budget of $150: http://www.amazon.com/APC-Power-Savi...I30U0ZCKPQVPV6
...
Try APC BE750G It appears to be the same unit but sold by Amazon with no shipping charge.

I have pretty much exclusively used APC UPS's for years now. The ones I've used have a USB cable to attach to the computer and OS X automatically recognizes there's a UPS attached and you can tweak settings for shutdown and such in the Energy Saver preferences.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:41 AM   #16
laryenhilllvr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Try APC BE750G It appears to be the same unit but sold by Amazon with no shipping charge.

I have pretty much exclusively used APC UPS's for years now. The ones I've used have a USB cable to attach to the computer and OS X automatically recognizes there's a UPS attached and you can tweak settings for shutdown and such in the Energy Saver preferences.
i htink i'm going to give cyberpower a try. it seems as if it's gotten the most votes so far.
__________________
I'm living the iLife, but it's time to upgrade all my products.
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:10 AM   #17
laryenhilllvr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
so i ordered this ups, i hope it works well

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01
__________________
I'm living the iLife, but it's time to upgrade all my products.
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:57 AM   #18
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFabian View Post
Why is that? Here where I live there had been exactly one power outage in the whole year (which lasted for 8 min) 2012. Are Blackouts or Brownouts really so common in the US or is there another reason why one would need an UPS? Time Machine has hourly backups if something happens.
Blackouts depends on the part of the US. Brownouts depends upon the summer weather. However you also get short power dips and such that would bring down a computer. And a host of issues when your powerlines are above ground.

And remember a UPS will also protect a computer from power spikes, including those caused by lightning.

With above ground power lines there's also the chance of something taking down a utility pole and taking out the power.

Also, depending on what you are doing when a power situation would down your computer, being able to finish what you are working on could save a lot of time after power is back to normal.

Does everyone need a UPS? not necessarily, however, it's insurance against something bad happening. And mine has already paid for itself.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:14 PM   #19
laryenhilllvr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
thank you everyone for your suggestions! I received my computer yesterday and i love it. unfortunately i think i'm experiencing problems with the UPS i bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01


every 15 minutes or so it says i'm running on the UPS, but the goes away in 30 secs or so. It's a bit annoying. Does anyone know why this could be?
__________________
I'm living the iLife, but it's time to upgrade all my products.
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ordered New iMac zutty53 iMac 12 Apr 11, 2014 01:42 PM
Ordered my iMac - why the delay? eladnova iMac 9 Dec 31, 2013 06:22 AM
Just ordered my iMac MrPeelNZ iMac 11 Feb 21, 2013 07:36 PM
New iMac Ordered - Need to Back PC and IMac (Eventually) Imacpapi iMac 1 Dec 3, 2012 11:51 PM
I've Ordered new iMac but... MacMiguel iMac 7 Nov 30, 2012 03:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC