Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
baryon
macrumors 68030

How to type these two characters: ű, ő

I'm aware that you can type international characters in two ways in Lion and Mountain Lion: You can either press and hold the key and choose the character, or you can press Alt + Key followed by another key to type accents on characters.

However, I am unable to find a way to type these two characters: ű, ő (u with two accents, and o with two accents). These are Hungarian characters by the way, and they are used very commonly in Hungarian, and it would be great if there would be a way for me to type them quickly and easily.

Does anyone know if there is a way to add characters to the menu that appears when you press and hold a key? Do these change when you change your language, or keyboard settings, etc?

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:55 PM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Have you experimented with changing the keyboard to the Hungarian keyboard under Language & Text in System Preferences?

You could also set up a symbol and text substitution...

All the unicode information is here, just incase you figure out how to create your own mapping from a key combo to a unicode character.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3
baryon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Have you experimented with changing the keyboard to the Hungarian keyboard under Language & Text in System Preferences?

You could also set up a symbol and text substitution...

All the unicode information is here, just incase you figure out how to create your own mapping from a key combo to a unicode character.
Thanks! Yes I can change the keyboard to Hungarian, but that will change so many things, such as swapping Z and Y, completely rearranging []()-=,./` and even the number keys, so I can't work with that. I don't often type in Hungarian so it's also not what I'm looking for.

Symbol substitution sounds like a good idea, I could actually set that up to replace some characters I'd never use anyway!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:38 PM   #4
desertman
macrumors 6502

These are characters with a "double acute" and they cannot be displayed with a US keyboard layout. Here are the Unicode numbers:

Ű = Unicode #368
ű = Unicode #369
Ő = Unicode #336
ő = Unicode #337

What can be easily displayed with a US keyboard layout are the German "Umlaute" , and with two dots on them by pressing ALT+U and then the a or o or u. But I guess you know that already and are not interested to use these characters.

I know this and could display the double acute characters because I use PopChar, are truly great program that can show all characters of a font and can also copy them into any document with just a click.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:53 PM   #5
baryon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
These are characters with a "double acute" and they cannot be displayed with a US keyboard layout. Here are the Unicode numbers:

Ű = Unicode #368
ű = Unicode #369
Ő = Unicode #336
ő = Unicode #337

What can be easily displayed with a US keyboard layout are the German "Umlaute" , and with two dots on them by pressing ALT+U and then the a or o or u. But I guess you know that already and are not interested to use these characters.

I know this and could display the double acute characters because I use PopChar, are truly great program that can show all characters of a font and can also copy them into any document with just a click.
Thanks! I might give that app a go then!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

On Mountain Lion, if you hold down the character (say, the 'u' character), you'll get an iOS-style popup with numbers for the various options ( is 2, so hold down u and press 2; the popup will stay up even after you release u until you press another non-number character).

Edit: Oops - read more carefully; you're aware of this and those aren't umlauts. OK. Try the special characters menu (on Safari it's Edit > Special Characters..., but it varies between apps - you can search in the help menu to find where it is in the app you're looking for)
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion