Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Hi guys although i have had my mac for the best part of three years now, without even thinking about any sort of programming, i will turn 30 this year.

After seeing all the wonderful mac apps that have been created over the years,
I have decided to get into Programming, and to be honest see where it takes me, it might not even be the thing for me, but hey you gotta try at least.

My goal as it is now is to eventualy develop my own app,, something worth the time and effort the fruits of my labour if you will. With maybe a move into game programming after that...

I understand that the hard work will surely come in my first year learning and i will take this one small step at a time..... So in saying that im in two minds wether to start off with Applescript or Python, Eventually moving onto Objective -C and into Cocoa....

Would ye guys sugest Applescript or Python as a first language for a complete Beginner, the only code i ever wrote was a full HTML page along time ago. Thanks for any advice .:)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'd like to just mention briefly that cocoa is an API, whereas many of the other things (C, Obj-C, Python, and AppleScript) are all languages.

I endorse the free ebook Learn C the Hard Way. Google it. Read it. Do the examples and exercises. Then move onto learning Obj-C.

Voodo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Yes as i understand it Cocoa is the application frameworks and core services,, so ye guys think i should just go straight to C,, get to grips with it and move onto Objective-C,, forget about python altogether as a begginer language?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yes as i understand it Cocoa is the application frameworks and core services,, so ye guys think i should just go straight to C,, get to grips with it and move onto Objective-C,, forget about python altogether as a begginer language?

I see little purpose in learning a language you're not planning on using. Obj-C, C++, and Java (indirectly) are all based on C. In fact, all C code is valid Obj-C code, most C code is valid C++ code, and a good deal of C code is also valid Java code.

I will give you that C has some... Difficult to grasp features (pointers) but you'll come to understand them with enough practice... And googling... And asking and answering questions on forums.

rien333

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The Netherlands
I learned Python before I learned C. I personally really liked it, mostly because Python is such a easy language to learn because of it's more "human language"-like syntax. You get to focus on the important stuff, like understanding loops and such, instead of focusing on other things.
I can also really recommend this book on Python (it is free): http://www.openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english2e/

Learn C the hard way seems like good book for learning C.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.