Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Driving me crazy..

is there a way to copy the http:url and past it into the hyperlink window?

It is a very long url, and It appears I can only type it..but I really need to cut and paste it.

But it will not let me.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Driving me crazy..

is there a way to copy the http:url and past it into the hyperlink window?

It is a very long url, and It appears I can only type it..but I really need to cut and paste it.

But it will not let me.
By "hyperlink window" do you mean the address bar of your browser? If so:

Right-click on the cell with the hyperlink and copy, then paste into your browser.
Right-click on the cell with the hyperlink and select "Open Hyperlink"

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
By "hyperlink window" do you mean the address bar of your browser? If so:

Right-click on the cell with the hyperlink and copy, then paste into your browser.
Right-click on the cell with the hyperlink and select "Open Hyperlink"

not really...sorry..let me try again.

I go to the browser in safari..I can highlight and select copy

I got to excel - and in a cell - go to menu - select Insert and then Hyperlink.
The next window that pops up is the hyperlink window where you can type in the hyperlink and description.
But I just want to PASTE it in..and it doesn't let me

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
not really...sorry..let me try again.

I go to the browser in safari..I can highlight and select copy

I got to excel - and in a cell - go to menu - select Insert and then Hyperlink.
The next window that pops up is the hyperlink window where you can type in the hyperlink and description.
But I just want to PASTE it in..and it doesn't let me
That works for me, but why not just click on the cell where you want it and paste it there? Does that work? If not, have you checked to make sure it's not a protected cell?

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
That works for me, but why not just click on the cell where you want it and paste it there? Does that work? If not, have you checked to make sure it's not a protected cell?

I can insert in a cell just fine.

But sometimes you want the cell to say: Couples swept away, but it goes to the website that is like this: http://www.couples.com/sweptaway.com

basically I have tried everything to paste my url in the place where the error is.
This one is not long..but I have one that is ReALLY long

insertlink_zpse732fbd7.png
[/IMG]

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can insert in a cell just fine.

But sometimes you want the cell to say: Couples swept away, but it goes to the website that is like this: http://www.couples.com/sweptaway.com

basically I have tried everything to paste my url in the place where the error is.
This one is not long..but I have one that is ReALLY long
Try this: paste the link in a cell, then right-click the cell and Edit Hyperlink. The link should be populated and you can edit the display text.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
You didn't mention how you're trying to paste into that field. I know from experience that right-click pasting into the "Edit hyperlink" dialog doesn't work in either the Mac or Windows versions of Excel.

However you can still paste with Command-V (or Ctrl-V in Windows)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 4.19.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 4.19.02 PM.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 278

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You didn't mention how you're trying to paste into that field. I know from experience that right-click pasting into the "Edit hyperlink" dialog doesn't work in either the Mac or Windows versions of Excel.

However you can still paste with Command-V (or Ctrl-V in Windows)
Good catch! I didn't even think of right-clicking to paste, since I'm so used to Command-V. It never occurred to me that someone might not try the keyboard command.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Good catch! I didn't even think of right-clicking to paste, since I'm so used to Command-V. It never occurred to me that someone might not try the keyboard command.

:)

and I am so used to the mouse! and I do it in windows all the time.

so still can't get it to work..there has to be a way....

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Yes. When you right click and edit hyperlink. The link is in the dist text already. It looks like the picture I posted. And same thing. Cant get the link to paste

Does it work for you Guys

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes. When you right click and edit hyperlink. The link is in the dist text already. It looks like the picture I posted. And same thing. Cant get the link to paste
If you paste the link in the cell (just click on a cell and Command-V to paste), then afterwards you right-click the cell and Edit Hyperlink, you no longer have to paste the link, as it's already there. You can simply click in the Display field and edit that to your liking, but the link is already there.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
If you paste the link in the cell (just click on a cell and Command-V to paste), then afterwards you right-click the cell and Edit Hyperlink, you no longer have to paste the link, as it's already there. You can simply click in the Display field and edit that to your liking, but the link is already there.

I am going to have to call apple care. I know you guys are saying that should work. BUT it doesn't.

It still shows in the Display field when I select edit hyperlink. It should be showing in the Link To, but the link actually shows up in teh Diplay field and not in the Link To field.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am going to have to call apple care. I know you guys are saying that should work. BUT it doesn't.

It still shows in the Display field when I select edit hyperlink. It should be showing in the Link To, but the link actually shows up in teh Diplay field and not in the Link To field.
So if you paste the link in a cell, then right-click in the cell and select Edit Hyperlink, you don't see the link in both the "Link to:" and "Display:" fields?
ScreenCap 2013-01-07 at Mon, Jan 7,1.16.07 PM .PNG
If so, you might try deleting the Excel plist and then relaunch Excel. The plist is located here:

/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel.plist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.