Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Good afternoon everyone. My wife bought an iPad mini and turned on home sharing. All of the movies in our iTunes library are 1080p files. However, a handful of them were incorrectly identified as 720p files (Identify the program made the mistake).

Those files that are designated 720p files show up in the shared section of the iPad mini after home sharing was turned on. The 1080p files do not show up under shared videos. The files, as stated above, are all actually 1080p files converted with Handbrake and the Apple TV 3 setting (from MKV Blu-ray rips). Those 720p marked files play fine through home sharing.

My questions are as follows:

1. Has Apple intentionally limited the iPad mini home sharing to 720p and lower resolution?
2. If not, is there a fix so the iPad mini can see the 1080p movies files?
3. Does anybody else notice that just changing the HD designation on a 1080p file to 720p allows their iPad mini to see it via a Home Sharing?

I realize that I can use Air Video to circumvent this problem, or manually use Identify to designate all my video as 720p to "trick" Apple, but I really hope there is just an easy fix I am missing. Thanks for the help in advance!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
There appears to be a bug in Apple's video player. I have the same problem.

A poor workaround is to sync the videos you want to watch in iTunes. Then they'll show up and play just fine. For me, this is preferable to wrongly re-tagging them as 720p to fool the player into seeing them. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
There appears to be a bug in Apple's video player. I have the same problem.

A poor workaround is to sync the videos you want to watch in iTunes. Then they'll show up and play just fine. For me, this is preferable to wrongly re-tagging them as 720p to fool the player into seeing them. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon.

I hope it is a bug and not a conscious decision on Apple's part to limit home sharing to just 720p files. Since I could sync the 1080p through iTunes, I assumed it was a bug.

MikeCase

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I also hope it's a bug. I replaced my 32GB retina iPad with a 16GB mini since I didn't need all the space thanks to Home Sharing. Now with my mini, I'm pretty strapped for space and now I have to sync? Pretty lame.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I also hope it's a bug. I replaced my 32GB retina iPad with a 16GB mini since I didn't need all the space thanks to Home Sharing. Now with my mini, I'm pretty strapped for space and now I have to sync? Pretty lame.

I agree. I think I may stop by the Apple Store this week and ask a genius to see if they know anything. I'm doubtful they will, but I pass right by the store each day so I might as well give it a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.