Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seoskaura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I think my fans are going bad in my early 2011 13'' MBP.

I wanted to know how much it would cost to have it serviced and have them replaced?

Also, what are people's experiences with the Genius Bar and getting them to actually look into the laptop to see the problems instead of just poking some cables in it and running diagnostics?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I think my fans are going bad in my early 2011 13'' MBP.

I wanted to know how much it would cost to have it serviced and have them replaced?

Also, what are people's experiences with the Genius Bar and getting them to actually look into the laptop to see the problems instead of just poking some cables in it and running diagnostics?

Go when it's quiet, you'll have more luck :).

13" 2011 has one fan, and I believe it's £15 + tax. If they decide to add labour, that's £24 but I doubt they will for a fan. If you're handy with a screwdriver the fan you're looking for is 922-8620.

seoskaura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Go when it's quiet, you'll have more luck :).

13" 2011 has one fan, and I believe it's £15 + tax. If they decide to add labour, that's £24 but I doubt they will for a fan. If you're handy with a screwdriver the fan you're looking for is 922-8620.

Hey, thanks for the speedy response. I actually recorded the sound for them so that I can show it.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I had the left fan replaced in my old early-2008 MBP back when it was 1.5 years old. AppleCare was still valid on it, so it was free for me.

However, you still get an invoice for the work when it's done under AppleCare, which shows the cost of the job. For my fan replacement, it said the cost was $100 for the fan, and about $300 for them to fix it. So, it would have been over $400 after tax.

It's much cheaper to buy a fan and do the replacement yourself. You can find step by step instructions on how to replace it on ifixit.com.

seoskaura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I didn't mean quiet so they can hear it, I meant so that they have more time to focus on it.

Well, that too. But I feel like the tech just concentrated on the crackling noise it had instead of the insane grinding noise. @_@

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.